One taste of a Fresh Strawberry Sundae with homemade strawberry sauce, and you’ll never go back to store-bought sauce again. You can make a delicious sauce from gorgeous, fresh berries in less than twenty minutes. Celebrate summer’s bounty and indulge in a creamy, sweet, Fresh Strawberry Sundae.
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Down here in Florida, big, juicy strawberries are flooding the farmer’s markets and grocery stores. I can’t get enough of them and am always looking for new ways to use them. Savory or sweet, if it has strawberries in the recipe, I will try it!
Ways To Use Fresh Strawberry Sauce
There are endless ways to use this delicious sauce. Here are just a few suggestions:
- Use warm as a topping for pancakes, waffles, and French toast.
- Spoon over warm biscuits and top with whipped cream for a strawberry shortcake dessert.
- Ladle the sauce over slices of pound cake for a quick and easy treat.
- Swap some of the sugar in homemade barbecue sauces
- Top yogurt with your homemade sauce instead of buying already-flavored yogurt.
- Swirl the sauce into a tall glass of lemonade.
- Ripe strawberries
- Granulated sugar
- Lemon juice – use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the freshest taste
- Ice Cream – I like vanilla, but use whatever your family enjoys.
- Whipped cream – I like the canned variety, but any will work.
- Fresh mint as a garnish
Steps To Make This Recipe
This easy recipe comes together in a flash and is very delicious.
- Make the sauce by combining the berries, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the berries release their juice.
- Stir in the cornstarch and water and boil until thickened.
- Cool the sauce.
- Scoop ice cream into a serving glass or bowl and layer with the strawberry sauce.
- Top with fresh berries, whipped cream, and a sprig of mint.
More Strawberry Recipes To Use Up The Summer’s Bounty
- Classic Strawberry Jam
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles
- Strawberry And Cream Crepes
- Fresh Strawberry Clafoutis
- Fresh Strawberry Scones
- Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel Muffins
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Strawberry Moscow Mule
- Strawberry Shortcake Martini
- Strawberry Key Lime Margaritas
- Healthy Strawberry Granita
- Strawberry Cheesecake Paletas
- Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bars
One taste of a Fresh Strawberry Sundae with homemade strawberry sauce, and you’ll never return to store-bought strawberry sundae sauce. You can make a delicious sauce from gorgeous, fresh berries in less than twenty minutes. Celebrate summer’s bounty and indulge in a creamy, sweet, Fresh Strawberry Sundae.
For the sauce:
- 1 pound ripe strawberries, hulled and chopped
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
For the sundaes:
- ½ gallon vanilla ice cream
- Spray whipped cream (I used Reddi Whip)
- Fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced or quartered
- Fresh mint sprigs as garnish
Make the sauce.
Combine the berries, sugar, water, lemon juice, and vanilla in a medium saucepan.
Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 15-20 minutes until the berries break down.
Stir the cornstarch and water in a small bowl to make a slurry.
Stir the slurry into the hot sauce, stirring often, and simmer the sauce for 2-3 minutes.
When the sauce is the consistency of thick syrup, remove the pot from the heat and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
Spoon the sauce into a container with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate for at least one hour or until cold.
Assemble the fresh strawberry sundaes.
In short cocktail glasses, spoon about two tablespoons of the strawberry syrup into the bottom of the glass. As you pour the syrup in, allow some to coat the sides.
Add one scoop of ice cream and spoon another tablespoon or two over the scoop.
Top with another scoop of ice cream, and add enough syrup to coat the top of the ice cream.
Garnish with fresh berries, a dollop of whipped cream, and a fresh mint sprig.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Assemble
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fresh strawberry sundaes, homemade strawberry sauce, ice cream sundae, fresh strawberries