Perfect for the first day of summer! These Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel Muffins make a beautiful breakfast treat that’s slightly sweet and subtly tart. They go great slathered with butter and strawberry jam.
Here in Florida, both rhubarb and strawberries are at their peak! Plus, they’re the perfect flavor combination as well. So while in-season produce is inexpensive and delicious, you can bake up a few batches of these muffins, freeze them, and enjoy the flavor of summer all year long. They take less than 45 minutes to whip up and are very moist and flavorful.
I like to serve these muffins as part of a summer brunch. Homemade breakfast sausage, Spinach Artichoke Egg Casserole, Strawberries Romanoff, and Fresh Peach Bellinis make a summery brunch menu that uses lots of fresh in-season produce!
How Do I Buy Rhubarb?
Look for stalks of rhubarb that are shiny and firm to the touch. They should not wilt or be too thick. The sweetest stalks are less than 2-inches wide and are redder in color.
Oh, and if your rhubarb has leaves, cut them off immediately. The leaves are poisonous to humans because they contain oxalic acid.
To store your fresh rhubarb, wrap them tightly in paper towels and then in a ziptop storage bag. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Butter, sour cream, whole milk, and eggs
- Granulated sugar
- Flour, baking powder, and salt
- Ground cinnamon and vanilla extract
- Fresh strawberries
- Fresh rhubarb
Steps To Make This Recipe
- Make the streusel topping by stirring together the butter, sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
- Line a muffin tin with muffin papers.
- Whisk together the melted butter, sour cream, milk, vanilla, and egg.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until almost fully combined.
- Add the rhubarb and strawberries.
- Fill the muffin cups half full of batter.
- Sprinkle the streusel on top of the muffins.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
More Muffin Recipes
- Bakery Style Almond Muffins
- Easy Corn Dog Muffins
- Banana Streusel Muffins
- Broccoli And Cheese Egg Muffins
Perfect for the first day of summer! These Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel Muffins make a beautiful breakfast treat that’s slightly sweet and subtly tart.
For the streusel topping:
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
For the muffins:
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup sour cream. Room temperature
- ¾ cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh, ripe strawberries
- ¾ cup finely diced, fresh rhubarb
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper baking cups. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the streusel and mix until well combined.
Whisk together the melted butter, sour cream, milk, vanilla, and egg in a large measuring cup.
In a mixing bowl, blend the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
Gently fold the egg mixture into the dry mixture until just combined. Don’t overmix the batter.
Fold in the strawberries and rhubarb.
Use an ice cream scoop to scoop the batter into the muffin tins to fill about ¾ of the way full.
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of streusel on top of each muffin.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry rhubarb streusel muffins, in-season produce, strawberry recipes, rhubarb recipes, breakfast recipes, muffin recipes, homemade muffins