Who says dessert is for after dinner? I say let’s start our Valentine’s Day celebration with a delicious, fluffy, and sweet Strawberry Shortcake Waffle. A Belgium waffle is made with a boxed strawberry cake mix and pureed, fresh strawberries for maximum berry flavor. Then it’s topped with strawberry ice cream, strawberry syrup, whipped cream, and a dusting of powdered sugar. If you want decadence for your morning, then this is just what you’ve been waiting for!
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
I love a brunch that includes something wonderfully decadent, sweet, and unexpected. So if I can stretch a holiday celebration to include a weekend brunch, it’s even better. Since Valentine’s Day falls on a weekday this year, the Sunday before is going to be a lazy brunch with these waffles, some strong coffee, and maybe some prosecco. Okay, definitely some prosecco.
- Cake mix – I like using a strawberry cake mix, but you could also use a yellow, white, or even chocolate cake mix.
- Buttermilk – this gives a little bit of tang. You could swap regular milk or additional water.
- Pureed fresh strawberries – don’t use sugared berries. Mash them yourself just before adding them to the cake mix. Mash them until they are almost liquified.
- Powdered sugar
- Strawberry pancake syrup – strawberry dessert syrup also works. You could swap chocolate syrup instead.
- Whipped cream – I like using refrigerated canned whipped cream, but use whatever you like or have on hand.
- Fresh strawberries, sliced thin
- Fresh mint sprigs for garnish
Steps To Make This Recipe
- Mix the cake mix, eggs, buttermilk, water, and pureed strawberries together.
- Preheat the waffle iron and spray nonstick spray on it.
- Pour ½ cup of the batter onto the iron, close, and cook the waffle until done and the edges are crisp.
- Remove the waffle from the iron.
- Dust with powdered sugar and drizzle with strawberry syrup.
- Place a scoop of ice cream in the center of the waffle.
- Add dollops of whipped cream and arrange sliced berries around the waffle.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
- Chocolate Strawberry – use a chocolate cake mix. Use ½ cup oil instead of the pureed berries. Top with strawberry ice cream, strawberry syrup, and sliced berries. Garnish with chocolate shavings or chocolate chips.
- Death By Chocolate – use a chocolate fudge cake mix, ½ cup oil instead of pureed berries. Top with chocolate ice cream, chocolate syrup, whipped cream, and chocolate chips or shavings.
- Lemon-Blueberry – Use a lemon cake mix. Use ½ cup oil instead of the strawberry puree. Grate fresh lemon zest into the batter and add fresh blueberries before cooking. Top with vanilla ice cream, blueberry pancake syrup, and whipped cream.
- Apple pie – use a spice cake mix and ½ cup apple sauce instead of the fruit puree or oil. Top with vanilla ice cream, canned apple pie filling, and whipped cream. Dust with a bit of cinnamon before serving.
More Valentine’s Day Dishes To Try:
- Heart Sugar Cookies With Marbled Icing
- Chocolate Biscuit Cake
- Crepes Suzette
- Decadent Chocolate Bourbon Balls
Strawberry Shortcake Waffles
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
Start Valentine’s Day with a delicious, fluffy, and sweet Strawberry Shortcake Waffle. A Belgium waffle is made with a boxed strawberry cake mix and pureed, fresh strawberries for maximum berry flavor. Then it’s topped with strawberry ice cream, strawberry syrup, whipped cream, and a dusting of powdered sugar. If you want decadence for your morning, then this is just what you’ve been waiting for!
For the waffles:
- 1 box (15.25 ounce) box strawberry cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup pureed fresh strawberries
For the shortcake:
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Strawberry pancake syrup or dessert syrup
- 1-quart strawberry ice cream
- Refrigerated, canned whipped cream
- Fresh strawberries, sliced
- Fresh mint sprigs, as garnish
In a large bowl, whisk together the cake mix, eggs, buttermilk, water, and strawberry puree until well combined.
Preheat your waffle iron and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Pour ½ cup of the batter onto the center of the iron. Close and allow the waffle to cook until your iron determines they are done. The waffle should be fluffy with golden and crispy edges.
Remove the waffle from the iron and place it on a baking sheet.
Place the waffles in a 200-degree oven to keep them warm while you make the remaining waffles.
To make the shortcakes, place one waffle on a plate.
Dust the waffle lightly with powdered sugar.
Drizzle the strawberry syrup over the waffle.
Place a scoop of ice cream in the center of the waffle.
Arrange sliced strawberries around the waffle and top with dollops of whipped cream.
Top with a sprig of fresh mint.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry shortcake waffles, brunch recipes, Valentine’s Day, breakfast recipes, waffle recipes, strawberry recipes, Valentine”s Day, Valentine”s breakfast Valentine”s brunch