These decadent chocolate bourbon balls are a no-bake treat that packs a boozy wallop. They are a lovely addition to your Kentucky Derby party or any holiday cookie tray.
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
I love serving little candies that are just for the adults. They always feel indulgent and special and when they are as easy as these decadent chocolate bourbon balls why not make them often!
WHAT ARE BOURBON BALLS?
Bourbon balls were originally created by Ruth Hanley Booe in 1938 for her candy company in Kentucky. They were a big hit and the candy company is still family-owned and operating today.
WHAT DO I NEED FOR THESE CANDIES?
- Cookie crumbs – I like using chocolate wafer cookies, but you could use vanilla wafers or even the outsides of Oreo cookies. Grind them finely in a food processor
- Toasted nuts – pecans, walnuts, or almonds works. Toasting them brings out their flavors. Some recipes suggest soaking the nuts in bourbon for a few days before toasting them and grinding them to a fine meal.
- Good quality bittersweet chocolate like Callebaut, Godiva, or Guittard
- Heavy cream – don’t use milk or half and half
- Light corn syrup
- Instant espresso powder – this brings out the flavors of the chocolate
- Cinnamon – highlights the chocolate and the pecan’s flavors. It’s optional but adds another layer of flavor. It also pairs well with the vanilla and caramel nuances in the bourbon.
- Bourbon – use a bourbon that you enjoy. I like using Maker’s Mark.
- Superfine sugar – you can make superfine sugar by processing granulated sugar in the food processor. Powdered sugar can also be used, but leaves a heavier coating.
- Maraschino cherries – these are optional but adds a pretty touch
More Kentucky Derby Recipes:
- Kentucky Hot Browns
- Classic Pimento Cheese
- Country Ham And Biscuits
- Pickled Deviled Eggs
- Barbecue Bloody Mary
- Fresh Peach Bellini
DECADENT CHOCOLATE BOURBON BALLS
- Total Time: 30 minutes + time for chilling
- Yield: Makes 48 pieces 1x
These decadent chocolate bourbon balls are a delicious, boozy, no-bake treat that makes a lovely addition to your Kentucky Dery party menu or holiday cookie tray.
2 cups ground chocolate wafer cookies (about 8 ounces)
1 cup finely ground toasted pecans
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
½ cup heavy cream
¼ cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
⅓ cup bourbon
1 cup superfine sugar for coating
Maraschino cherries, dried well and cut in half for garnish (optional)
In a large bowl, combine the crushed cookies and pecans.
In a medium glass bowl, stir together the chocolate, cream, corn syrup, espresso powder, and cinnamon.
Microwave the chocolate mixture in 30-second increments, stirring well after each cycle until melted. Remove from the microwave and allow to cool for 2 minutes.
Whisk in the bourbon until the mixture is smooth.
Use a spatula to scrape the chocolate mixture into the bowl of cookie crumbs.
Fold together until fully combined. Chill for 30 minutes.
Pour the superfine sugar onto a shallow dish.
Use a small cookie scoop to form the chocolate mixture into balls.
Roll in the sugar and garnish with a cherry half.
Place in a candy cup on a baking sheet or on a parchment-lined baking sheet until firm.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: decadent chocolate bourbon balls, no bake candy, no bake dessert, Kentucky Derby recipes, holiday cookie tray, chocolate recipes, candy recipes