A sweet and creamy dessert martini that brings all the flavors of a tropical key lime pie. This key lime pie martini is great as a Memorial Day brunch cocktail or after-dinner nightcap.
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
With great success, I’ve served this cocktail as part of a dessert table for a Memorial Day barbecue. My other dishes included:
- Grilled Bbq Pork Chops and Grilled Tequila Lime Chicken
- Israeli Salad – cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, parsley, mint, lemon juice, and olive oil for a delicious, healthy side dish that’s so refreshing.
- French White Bean Salad – a light, protein-packed vegetarian option that also goes great with grilled meats.
- Green Chile Creamed Corn – a spicy, creamy side dish that tastes like summer.
- Southern Potato Salad – what’s a barbecue without potato salad?
- Macaron Peach Cobbler – a vintage dessert that’s still a family favorite.
WHAT IS IN A KEY LIME PIE MARTINI?
- How many of us love the crust of a key lime pie? To recreate that flavor, rim the glass with a combination of crushed graham cracker crumbs and granulated sugar.
- Key limes for garnish and to rim the glass before dipping them into the graham cracker crumbs.
- Key lime juice – either fresh or bottled.
- Vanilla vodka and plain vodka – you could use all plain vodka and add ¼ teaspoon vanilla. The vanilla vodka is mild in flavor but smooths out the flavors and tartness. It’s well worth investing in a small bottle. It also works great to splash into a Cosmopolitan or other sweet cocktails.
- Pineapple juice – enhances the flavor of the lime and adds sweetness. You don’t actually taste pineapple in the cocktail.
- Sweetened condensed milk – this really adds to the key lime pie flavor but could be swapped for half and half or cream and a bit of sweetener, if needed. I’ve found this product in a squeeze bottle, which makes it super convenient to use in recipes like this one that doesn’t require a whole can.
HOW DO I MAKE THIS COCKTAIL?
- Rim the glass with lime juice and dip it into a graham cracker/sugar mixture.
- Next, fill a cocktail shaker with ice cubes and pour in all of the ingredients.
- Shake until the outside of the shaker is very cold.
- Strain into the rimmed martini glass and garnish with slices of key lime.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FLORIDA KEY LIME AND A PERSIAN LIME
The big display of limes at the grocery store are Persian limes, which are large and tart in flavor.
Key limes are smaller and have thin skin. They tend to be slightly sweeter and much less acidic than Persian limes. They also have a fruity, distinctive aroma.
You can use the limes interchangeably without causing a noticeable difference in taste. Key lime desserts will have less of an acidic bite and a milder, sweeter flavor.
Need to use up those last few key limes? Here are a couple of suggestions:
- Key Lime Chippers – Key lime in a cookie? Yes, please!
- Strawberry Key Lime Margarita – like chocolate and peanut butter, strawberries and key limes just go together.
- Tequila Lime Chicken – Even poultry is better with a bit of lime.
- Chili Lime Baked Sweet Potato Fries – healthy and spicy, but feels rich and decadent.
What a great way to end a Memorial Day barbecue than with a smooth and creamy Key Lime Pie Martini. All the flavors of your favorite pie in a cocktail!
2 tablespoons finely crushed graham cracker crumbs
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 key lime, sliced in half
1 ½ shots (4.5 tablespoons) key lime juice
1 shot vanilla vodka
1 shot of plain vodka
1 shot pineapple juice
3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
Place the graham cracker crumbs and granulated sugar in a shallow dish. Lightly combine with your fingertips.
Slice one half of the key lime into round slices. Cut the other half of the key lime into two wedges.
Use a lime wedge to wet the rim of a large martini glass.
Dip the rim of the glass into the graham cracker/sugar mixture. Set aside.
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
Pour in the lime juice, both vodkas, pineapple juice, and sweetened condensed milk. Shake until the outside of the shaker is icy cold.
Strain into the prepared martini glass.
Garnish with two lime slices on the rim of the glass.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Starters - Cocktails
- Method: Shake
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: key lime pie martini, dessert martini, Memorial Day, sweet cocktails, key lime, nightcap cocktails