This quick and easy side dish packs a ton of flavor and is a refreshing change from pasta, rice, or potatoes. I like to serve this dish beside simple proteins like Sticky And Spicy Chicken Drumsticks, Herb Roasted Pork Loin, or an Oven Roasted Beef Brisket. This salad also makes a great light lunch.
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Cannellini beans are so delicious. They taste earthy and a bit nutty and the texture is creamy rather than grainy like some other beans. I love them. Keeping canned cannellini beans on hand makes this quick and easy side dish even easier.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE THIS DISH?
Because the ingredients are so simple, use the best quality ingredients that you can find or afford. Each item lends so much flavor to the dish that it is worth sourcing the best.
- White beans. I love cannellini beans, but any white bean will do. Canned is just fine. Drained, but not rinsed.
- Finely minced aromatics and herbs. Go for color – red bell pepper, purple from red onion, pale green celery, and vibrant green parsley. So pretty and delicious. I like mincing them very tiny to keep the creamy mouthfeel o the beans.
- Dressing. Red wine vinegar, some garlic, good quality olive oil, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper is the standard vinaigrette. But the French Herbs de Provence adds a beautiful herb and floral flavor. If you don’t like or have this on hand, use a bit of tarragon, thyme, or whatever your favorite herbs are.
Here are a few more salad ideas for your recipe repertoire:
- Ultimate Cobb Salad
- Spinach Salad With Bacon Dressing
- Fennel And Orange Salad With Champagne Vinaigrette
- Autumn Salad
- Homemade Chicken Caesar Salad
- Southwest Quinoa Salad With Spicy Lime Vinaigrette
- Creamy Broccoli Salad
- Classic Caprese Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad – La Scalla Style
- Classic Wedge Salad
FRENCH WHITE BEAN SALAD
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
With creamy cannellini beans, finely chopped vegetables, and a homemade vinaigrette, this quick and easy side dish also makes a delicious and healthy lunch.
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, very finely minced
½ teaspoon dried Herbs de Provence
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 (14.5-ounce) can Cannelini beans or Great Northern White beans, drained but not rinsed
2 tablespoons finely minced red bell pepper
2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
2 tablespoons finely minced celery
Soak the red onion in ice water. Use a small ramekin and fill it with water and an ice cube or two. Add the red onion and stir. Set aside to soak for at least 10 minutes. This will take the harsh onion ‘bite’ out of the onion,
In a measuring cup, pour in the red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, Herbs de Provence, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Whisk briskly until incorporated. Set aside.
Use a medium glass salad bowl to pour in the beans, red bell pepper, parsley, and celery.
Drain the red onions well and toss them into the bowl as well.
Whisk the dressing and pour it over the beans.
Gently toss to combine the ingredients. Cover the bowl tightly and chill for at least an hour to allow the flavors to come together.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side Dish / Starters
- Method: Toss
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: quick and easy side dish, salad recipes, side dish recipes, bean recipe, French recipes, healthy lunch, healthy recipes
1 thought on “FRENCH WHITE BEAN SALAD”