This simple salad recipe is a flavor powerhouse. With the iron-rich spinach, protein from the eggs and bacon, and carbs from the stuffing mix ‘croutons’, this delicious salad is also a complete meal. I like to serve this with a slice of Cheddar Jalapeno Bread or if I’m feeling a bit hungrier than normal, a cup of The Best Cheese Soup is a decadent addition.
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
I like to serve a salad as a dinner entree at least once a week. It feels healthier, even with the addition of bacon. And really, doesn’t bacon make everything better? I think so too.
When it comes to dinner salads, this simple salad recipe is pretty hard to beat. It is made with the classic ingredients that you remember from old school steakhouse restaurants, but the dressing gives it a bit of a sweet and sour flavor. It is delicious, hearty, and very satisfying.
VARIATIONS ON THIS SIMPLE SALAD RECIPE
This salad is very diverse and can be changed to make endless fresh options.
- Add fresh, sliced strawberries and instead of red wine vinegar in the dressing try champagne vinegar.
- Go elegant and add sliced figs, whole Marcona almonds, and gorgonzola cheese.
- Fresh or sauteed mushrooms or sliced radish are always a delicious addition to a spinach salad.
- For fall, sliced apples, shredded cheddar cheese, and walnuts would make a great salad. Swap the red wine vinegar in the dressing for apple cider vinegar.
- Take on a Greek flair with the addition of feta cheese, sliced kalamata olives, and a sprinkle of oregano.
EQUIPMENT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE EASIER
- Pyrex 4 Measuring Cup, Clear with Red Graphics – This is a kitchen staple.
- Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons-6 Piece – I love the long, rectangle design. They even fit into small spice jars.
- J.A Henckels International Classic Starter Knife Set, 3-Piece – good knives make food prep easier…and safer.
- Extra Thick Flexible Plastic Kitchen Cutting Board Mats Set, Set of 6 Colored Mats With Food Icons & Easy-Grip Handles, Non-Porous, Dishwasher – different colors for different foods. No more onion flavored fruit. It’ a good thing.
- OXO Good Grips 12-Inch Tongs With Nylon Heads
- Clean Dezign Large White Serving and Salad Bowl with Servers and Bamboo Lid – Take this lovely piece to potlucks. Toss and serve the salads all in the same bowl. I love easy pieces.
If you enjoyed this simple salad recipe, here are a few others that may spark your interest:
- Fennel & Orange Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette
- Autumn Salad
- Homemade Chicken Caeser Salad
- Southwest Quinoa Salad With Spicy Lime Vinaigrette
- Creamy Broccoli Salad
- Classic Caprese Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad – LaScalla Style
- Classic Wedge Salad
This simple salad recipe is a perfect dinner salad that is a complete meal. Iron rich spinach, hard boiled eggs, red onion, and crispy bacon are dressed in a sweet and sour dressing. It’s so satisfying and tasty, your whole family will love it.
1 (10-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
4 hard-boiled eggs
8 slices bacon, cooked very crisp
1 small red onion, sliced very thin
¼ package Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix (optional)
⅓ cup sugar
3 tablespoons warm (liquid) bacon fat
¾ cup vegetable oil
⅓ cup red wine vinegar
⅓ cup Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 small onion, grated
1 teaspoon celery seed
Tear the leaves of spinach and place in large individual salad bowls.
Slice 1 hard-boiled egg onto each bowl.
Crumble 2 pieces of bacon onto each bowl and top with ¼ of the red onion for each bowl.
Make the dressing.
In a large measuring cup or mason jar, combine all of the ingredients and whisk or cover the jar and shake until fully combined.
Serve the salads with the dressing on the side or pour some of the dressing over each salad bowl and toss completely.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Starters-Salads
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: simple salad recipe, spinach salad, dinner salads, spinach recipes, recipes with bacon,