This is an easy, make-ahead salad that always gets rave reviews from everyone who tastes it. Made with fresh, raw broccoli, scallions, raisins, and a homemade slaw dressing that is just amazing.
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
I love this salad. It has all the yummy elements. It’s fresh, crisp, and crunchy. It is tangy and creamy, sweet, salty, and savory. Did I mention that it also has bacon and cheddar cheese? Bacon and cheddar cheese, you guys! Isn’t everything more delicious with bacon AND cheddar cheese?
Plus, this salad goes with everything: grilled chicken, burgers, barbecue, or shrimp. It is a perfect ‘pot-luck’ dish and is made ahead of time.
HOMEMADE BROCCOLI SALAD SLAW DRESSING
This dressing has three ingredients – mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar. How easy is that? I like using apple cider vinegar, but it is really a matter of taste. You could use white vinegar, red wine vinegar or champagne vinegar.
For a bigger flavor profile, whisk in a tablespoon of grainy mustard or hot sauce. If you aren’t a fan of mayo, try Greek yogurt or whip up a vinaigrette and omit the creamy stuff altogether.
VARIATIONS ON THIS CREAMY BROCCOLI SALAD
There are so many ways to change up this recipe – the list is almost endless. It could be a new salad each time you make it.
- For additional crunch toss in 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, slivered almonds, pine nuts, or cashews.
- Swap out the raisins for chopped dates, craisins or halved grapes.
- Toss in some chopped apple, diced celery, cauliflower, or carrot.
- Feeling decadent? Try stirring in goat cheese or cubed brie instead of shredded cheddar.
- Make it a bit healthier and use turkey bacon. You will still get the smoky flavor with a little less fat.
- Adding cubed grilled chicken makes this a wonderful lunch entree.
An easy salad recipe with fresh broccoli, scallions, bacon, raisins, and cheddar in a creamy, tangy slaw dressing.
- 5 cups raw broccoli, chopped into very small pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 5 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
For the dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- In a large bowl, toss together the broccoli, onion, almonds, raisins, bacon, and cheddar cheese. Toss to combine the ingredients.
- In a small bowl, use a whisk to incorporate the mayonnaise and sugar together. Slowly add the vinegar and whisk until smooth and creamy. Pour over the vegetables and toss together until all of the vegetables are coated with the dressing.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Serve chilled.
- Serving Size: Serves 4 -6
If you enjoyed this salad recipe, try serving it alongside a perfect oven roasted brisket, or a low country shrimp boil, or even these simple, yet perfectly moist boneless, skinless chicken breasts.