This easy grilled tequila lime chicken is full of spicy Southwest flavor and yet is easy enough for a weeknight meal.
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
I love keeping a container of grilled, boneless, skinless chicken breasts in my fridge. They make it so easy to slice and put on a salad or a sandwich. Anything that makes life easier, am I right?
Grilled tequila lime chicken is great served with Southwest Quinoa Salad, Mexican Grilled Corn, and a few Southern Hushpuppies.
HOW DO I MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Because boneless, skinless chicken can get dry, especially on the grill, we are going to infuse the chicken with tons of flavor by marinating it in citrus juices, spices, oil, and tequila. The tequila not only adds a punch of flavor, but it also helps to tenderize the proteins.
Next, we will reserve some of the marinade and reduce it to a thick syrup. This will be our basting sauce while grilling to add additional moisture and flavor. Pour the remainder of the marinade into a ziplock bag, toss in the chicken, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, but overnight is better.
Then, lay those babies on the grill, turning them once or twice and slathering the rich, flavorful sauce on them.
VARIATIONS TO THIS RECIPE
- You can use any kind of tequila in this recipe. I used white tequila (Blanco), because its what I had on hand.
- If you don’t have limes or oranges on hand, use any type of citrus – just be sure to adjust the brown sugar to reach the desired sweetness.
- You can vary the spices by using smoked paprika or different types of chili powder. Try minced, fresh cilantro instead of coriander powder.
- If you want to limit the heat, be sure to remove the seeds and all veins from the jalapeno or eliminate the pepper all together.
Looking for more chicken recipes? Here are a few suggestions to try:
- Chicken Vesuvio
- Chicken Marbella
- Grilled Piri Piri Chicken
- Sticky And Spicy Sriracha Chicken Drumsticks
- Perfectly Moist Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
GRILLED TEQUILA LIME CHICKEN
- Total Time: 30 minutes _ 4 hours marinating time
- Yield: Serves 6
These easy, grilled tequila lime chicken breasts are moist, tender, and full of Southwest flavors.
For the marinade:
- ½ cup tequila
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- Zest of 1 lime and 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
For the chicken:
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to an even thickness
- ¾ cup reserved marinade
In a large bowl, whisk together all of the marinade ingredients until well combined. Remove ¾ cup of the marinade and set aside.
Pour the remaining marinade into a large ziplock bag. Nestle the chicken breasts into the marinade, close tightly, and place in the refrigerator. Allow to marinate for at least four hours or overnight.
Meanwhile, pour the reserved marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and reduce the liquid until it is about half of the volume.
Let cool and spoon into a tightly covered container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
When ready to grill, spray the grill grates with non-flammable cooking spray. Preheat the grill on high.
Place the chicken breasts on the grill, use a silicone basting brush to slather the reduced marinade on the tops. Lower the grill cover and cook for about 4 minutes.
Baste the tops again and flip the chicken over. Slather marinade on the other side and continue to cook for another 4 or 5 minutes until the juices run clear and it is opaque all the way through.
Spread sauce over the tops once more before removing the breasts from the grill.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes + 4 hours marinating time
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Southwestern
Keywords: grilled tequila lime chicken, chicken recipes, boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilling recipes, Southwestern recipes