This quick and easy vegetable recipe brings out the sweet taste of the corn with just a hint of subtle spice. The flavors of the smoky corn slathered in the buttery sauce flecked with spice are the taste of summer. This delicious corn recipe is great served alongside barbecue ribs or chicken and a cool, vinegary slaw.
I love Mexican food of any kind. Couple that with my love of corn and this quick and easy vegetable recipe is a summer go-to keeper.
If you have ever been to a carnival or a Mexican street fair and adored elote, then you are going to love this recipe. The roasted corn, the buttery, savory sauce, flavored with the spicy flavors of Mexico, makes for a delicious and easy side dish for summer, Taco Tuesday, or Cinco De Mayo.
Even your loved ones who dislike mayonnaise will love the sauce. The mayo thickens and holds the spiced butter on the corn. The lime juice and spices add flavor without adding additional salt. And the cilantro, if you like it, adds a bright herby freshness that complements the other flavors.
HOW TO BUY AND EASILY HUSK CORN
The most difficult part of this quick and easy vegetable recipe is husking the corn. But, I have a couple of tips to make buying and husking the corn almost effortless.
I don’t know about your grocery store, but mine prefers that their patrons don’t pull the husks down from the top of the ears. It’s not really necessary if you pick up an ear that feels firm and heavy. The outside should look moist, green, with silks that are still attached.
To husk, you could pull down the outer leaves and silk, then run a wet paper towel around the ear of corn to help remove any stray silk. Pretty easy.
But, for an even easier way, America’s Test Kitchen has a great way to remove ALL of the silks. Check out this quick video here (psst…it involves microwaving the ear for just a couple of minutes and then squeezing the ear of corn out of the husk. Brilliant!) Truly, it’s a game-changer.
Complete your meal with my recipe for Spicy Shrimp Tacos, maybe a side of Spicy Mexican Rice Pilaf, followed by a few Ultimate Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies. Wash your delicious meal down with a Classic Cadillac Margarita. Enjoy!Print
A quick and easy vegetable recipe that brings the taste of Mexican elote to your table. Buttery, savory, and spicy, this dish goes well with grilled meats, slaws, and burgers.
- 4 ears of corn, husked and silks removed
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons finely minced cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the corn on the grill and cook until the kernels begin to blacken, about 5 minutes. Turn and continue to blacken on all sides.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, melted butter, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, and 2 tablespoons finely minced cilantro.
- Brush each side with the butter mixture, Continue to cook, turning and basting with the butter sauce until the corn is very fragrant and just becoming tender.
- Remove from heat. Brush any remaining butter sauce onto the corn and sprinkle with ¼ cup chopped cilantro.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving Size: 1