Ditch the mix! Enjoy this easy and delicious recipe for a Classic Cadillac Margarita using a few simple ingredients and the best alcohol that you can afford.
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
I like to serve this cocktail with a starter of Mexican Picaditas, then Seafood Enchiladas, and Strawberry Cheesecake Paletas for dessert.
Classic Cadillac Margaritas
A Classic Cadillac Margarita is considered a ‘top shelf’ cocktail using an aged reposado tequila and Grand Marnier liqueur. It’s definitely something to enjoy when you feel like sipping a bit of luxury or when you want to impress your friends/family.
It’s also not a margarita for lightweights. There’s a lot of alcohol in this baby. Plus the Grand Marnier is 80 proof and the reposado tequila is between 80 to 110 proof – definitely a reminder to drink responsibly.
I like using reposado tequila, which is aged in oak barrels. I like the slight ‘oaky’ flavor with the lime, but if you don’t then choose a clear tequila that you enjoy. I would suggest picking one that’s made from 100% agave. This means that the tequila is pure, with no additives. This also means no nasty hangover symptoms.
The next decision you have to make is salt or no salt. Personally, I like a tiny rim of salt around the glass. It balances the sweetness of the Grand Marnier and softens the tequila bite. I also think that I really like salt.
What Ingredients Are Needed For This Recipe
- Tequilla – for a Cadillac margarita, you want top-shelf. I used Patron Reposado.
- Grand Marnier liqueur – or any other top-shelf orange liqueur
- Light agave syrup – you could also use simple syrup.
- Coarse salt or Kosher salt – I used Kosher salt because it’s what I had on hand.
Steps To Make This Recipe
- Run a wedge of fresh lime around the top of 4 rocks glasses.
- Dip the rim into a plate of salt. Set aside
- Fill a cocktail pitcher halfway with ice.
- Pour in the tequila, lime juice, Grand Marnier, and a bit of agave syrup.
- Taste and adjust for sweetness.
- Pour into the rimmed glasses and garnish with lime wedges.
More Delicious Margarita Recipes To Try
- Spicy Chili Lime Margaritas
- Spicy Apple Cider Margaritas
- White Holiday Margaritas
- Fresh Citrus Margaritas
- Pineapple Margaritas
- Jalapeno Guava Margaritas
- Fresh Strawberry And Key Lime Margaritas
CLASSIC CADILLAC MARGARITA
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
This recipe for a classic Cadillac margarita packs a punch and tickles the taste buds. It’s the perfect cocktail for a taco Tuesday, Cinco De Mayo, or any weekend evening.
- 1 3/4 cup reposado tequila or any clear tequila
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (don’t use the bottled stuff)
- 3/4 cup Grand Marnier liqueur
- Light agave syrup, optional to taste
- Kosher salt
- Lime wedges
- In a large pitcher 1/2 full with ice.
- Pour the tequila, lime juice, and Grand Marnier over the ice. Stir well to combine.
- Taste for sweetness. Add a bit of light agave syrup if desired. Stir well.
- For the glasses, pour about 1/4 cup of kosher salt onto a small plate.
- Using a lime wedge, wet the rim of each glass and dip each glass into the kosher salt.
- Carefully add ice cubes to each glass as to not knock off the salt rim.
- Strain the margarita mixture into each glass.
- Garnish with a slice of lime.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Starters - Cocktails
- Method: Stir
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: Serves 8
Keywords: Classic Cadillac Margarita, margarita recipes, top-shelf, tequilla, reposado tequilla, Grand Marnier, National Grand Marnier Day, cocktail recipes, happy hour recipes, Cinco De Mayo, Taco Tuesday, Taco Tuesday recipes