Ditch the mix! Enjoy this easy and delicious recipe for a classic Cadillac margarita using a few simple ingredients and the best alcohol that you can afford.
A Cadillac margarita is considered a ‘top shelf’ cocktail using an aged reposado tequila and Grand Marnier liqueur. It is definitely something to enjoy when you feel like sipping a bit of luxury or when you want to impress your friends/family.
It is also not a margarita for lightweights. There is a lot of alcohol in this baby. Plus the Grand Marnier is 80 proof and the reposado tequila is between 80 to 110 proof – definitely a reminder to drink responsibly.
I like using a reposado tequila, which is aged in oak barrels. I like the slight ‘oaky’ flavor with the lime, but choose a clear tequila that you enjoy. I would suggest picking one that is made from 100% agave. This means that the tequila is pure, with no additives. This also means no nasty hangover symptoms.
The next decision you have to make is salt or no salt. Personally, I like a tiny rim of salt around the glass. It counters the sweetness of the Grand Marnier and softens the tequila bite. I also think that I just really like salt.Print
This recipe for a classic Cadillac margarita packs a punch and tickles the taste buds. It’s the perfect cocktail for a taco Tuesday, Cinco De Mayo, or any weekend evening.
- 1 3/4 cup reposado tequila or any clear tequila
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (don’t use the bottled stuff)
- 3/4 cup Grand Marnier liqueur
- Light agave syrup, optional to taste
- Kosher salt
- Lime wedges
- In a large pitcher 1/2 full with ice.
- Pour the tequila, lime juice, and Grand Marnier over the ice. Stir well to combine.
- Taste for sweetness. Add a bit of light agave syrup if desired. Stir well.
- For the glasses, pour about 1/4 cup of kosher salt onto a small plate.
- Using a lime wedge, wet the rim of each glass and dip each glass into the kosher salt.
- Carefully add ice cubes to each glass as to not knock off the salt rim.
- Strain the margarita mixture into each glass.
- Garnish with a slice of lime.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
With this classic Cadillac margarita, may I suggest trying my Truckstop Enchilada recipe, or these extra flavorful jalapeno poppers? Or keep it simple with some chips and this recipe for creamy cilantro jalapeno sauce. You can thank me later!
Since it’s impossible to share this lovely margarita together and if you’re enjoying my recipes, how about following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook? I would love to connect with you!