It’s National Margarita Day! Why not whip up a fresh citrus margarita and kick back to celebrate. This margarita is smooth, not too sweet, and packs a punch with the silver tequila and Grand Marnier. Take the time to rim the glass in both sugar and salt.
By mixing your margaritas yourself, you can control the amount of alcohol, what juices you use, and how sweet you like it.
It can be a little time-consuming and maybe a little tedious to juice the fruit, but the fresh flavor and brightness of the real fruit cannot be matched with anything bottled.
- Tequila – I like silver myself, but it is all a matter of taste.
- Orange liqueur – Grand Marnier is less sweet than Cointreau or Triple Sec, but any of those works like a charm.
- Citrus juice – use fresh, not bottled. I’m using equal amounts of lime and lemon juice. But you could use orange, tangerine, grapefruit…
- Sweetener – I like agave syrup, but you could make a simple syrup, or use honey, or even super-fine sugar and just shake the heck out of it until it dissolves into the liquid
- Kosher salt and sugar for rimming the glass
- Add some heat. Muddle a jalapeno pepper in the cocktail shaker. Slice a bit of the pepper to use as a garnish.
- Want spice? Use chili powder. It is delicious with lime juice and is spicy more than hot.
- Make a simple syrup by combining 1 cup of sugar with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Cool and keep it in the refrigerator.
- Try different flavors on the rim of the glass. This lime salt is delicious. Chili powder, barbecue salt, or even herbs muddled into the salt and or sugar provide different kicks of flavor.
MORE MARGARITA RECIPES:
- Pineapple Margarita
- Jalapeno Guava Margarita
- Classic Cadillac Margarita
- Fresh Strawberry Key Lime Margarita
Celebrate National Margarita Day with these tasty Fresh Citrus Margaritas! Full of fresh citrus flavor and tequila, these margaritas are so easy that you’ll never buy a margarita mix again.
For a single margarita:
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
Wedge of lemon or lime
2-ounces silver tequila
1-ounce Grand Marnier
1-ounce freshly-squeezed lime juice
1-ounce freshly-squeezed lemon juice
½ teaspoon agave syrup
For a pitcher:
¼ cup Kosher salt
¼ cup sugar
6 wedges of lemon or lime
1 ½ cups silver tequila
¾ cup Grand Marnier
¾ cup freshly-squeezed lime juice
¾ cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
3 teaspoons agave syrup
Mix the Kosher salt and sugar together on a small, flat dish.
Use a wedge of lime or lemon to moisten the rim of a margarita glass and roll the rim in the sugar-salt mixture until well coated. Set aside.
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
Pour in the tequila, Grand Marnier, lime juice, lemon juice, and agave syrup.
Shake vigorously until the outside of the cocktail shaker is icy cold.
Strain into the margarita glass.
Garnish with a slice of fruit.
- Category: Starters - Cocktails
- Method: Shake
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: fresh citrus margarita, margarita recipes, National Margarita Day, tequila, margaritas, Cinco De Mayo, lime juice, lemon juice, citrus juice, Grand Marnier