This Brazilian cocktail recipe is their national cocktail and served in almost any bar. It is sweet and limey, but be careful because it really packs a punch! I like to serve this cocktail with a few Savory Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Palmiers or Honey Bourbon Glazed Scallops. Now it will feel like a party.
Don’t you love a drink that reminds you of a great time in a beautiful place AND it only has three ingredients? Score!
I discovered this wonderful cocktail at the suggestion of friends while in a sweet little bar across the street from Impanema beach in Rio de Janeiro. I’m not sure if it was the beautiful location combined with watching the gorgeous people on the beach while sipping this magical elixir or if the cocktail was that incredibly good.
After my first one, I decided it was indeed THAT good. After my second one, I didn’t think about it anymore and just enjoyed the last few sips.
WHAT IS CACHAÇA?
Cachaça is a Brazilian distilled liquor made from fresh sugar cane juice. It is often thought of as a type of rum but is very distinctive and different.
Cachaça is slightly less sweet than rum and has more fruity, sometimes even vegetal notes. Like rum, it comes in Blanco and Gold varieties. The Gold, sometimes called ‘Amarela’ is aged in barrels for at least one year.
EQUIPMENT USED TO MAKE THIS BRAZILIAN COCKTAIL RECIPE
- J.A Henckels International Classic Starter Knife Set, 3-Piece – good knives make food prep easier…and safer.
- Extra Thick Flexible Plastic Kitchen Cutting Board Mats Set, Set of 6 Colored Mats With Food Icons & Easy-Grip Handles, Non-Porous, Dishwasher – different colors for different foods. No more onion flavored fruit. It’ a good thing.
- Stainless Steel 24 Ounce Cocktail Shaker Bar Set with Measuring Jigger and Mixing Spoon – pretty, functional, and kinda fun to play with.
- 8″ Long Stainless Steel Cocktail Muddlers by HQY, Muddler – better than wood and you can toss it into the dishwasher.
- Venero Crystal Whiskey Glasses, Set of 4 Scotch Glasses in Luxury Gift Box, Tumblers for Drinking Bourbon, Cognac, Irish Whisky, Large 10oz Premium Lead-Free Crystal – pretty glasses that are multi-functional
Looking to take your tastebuds on a journey through cocktails? Here are a few suggestions:
- Start your flavor journey in the South where strawberry shortcakes are in all the cafes. Instead of the dessert give this fruity cocktail a try: Strawberry Shortcake Martini
- Head to Florida? This Rum Runner Cocktail tastes like Key West!
- Another great Florida drink is a Blood Orange Mojito.
- Take a taste of Spain with this Fruity Red Wine Sangria
- This Cool Lychee Martini will transport you to Thailand. Enjoy!
This Brazilian cocktail is considered the national drink. Cachaca and lime muddled with sugar and served over ice makes a delicious, and strong libation.
1 lime, cut into slices
1 – 1 ½ teaspoons superfine sugar
2 ounces cachaça
In a Hi-Ball or Old Fashioned glass, place 3 or 4 lime slices and the sugar. Use a cocktail muddler to press as much of the juice from the lime slices.
Pour in the liquor and stir until the sugar dissolves completely.
Fill the glass with ice and stir again.
Garnish with a slice of lime on the rim of the glass.
- Category: Starters - Cocktails
- Method: Muddle
- Cuisine: Brazilian
Keywords: Brazilian cocktail, cocktail recipes, Happy Hour, Girl's night out, Cachaca recipes