This savory appetizer recipe explodes with a cheesy, garlicky flavor. They make a delicious appetizer, but work well accompanying a cup of tomato soup or a caesar salad.
Is it bad that I can make a meal out of appetizers? I do, quite often, especially in restaurants. And when they are this tasty, I am completely satisfied.
Don’t let the detailed instructions fool you. These pretty little morsels are deceptively easy. The puff pastry is store-bought. How easy is that? You could even buy a tube of roasted garlic if you were in a time crunch.
WHAT IS A PALMIER?
A palmier can be either sweet or savory, but all of them start with puff pastry. The dough is filled or spread with a filling and folded into the middle twice, making a butterfly shape. When baked, the buttery, flaky layers of the pastry puffs into golden, tender layers.
The palmier is also called an elephant ear, a pig’s ear, or a palm leaf. You can pretty much universally call them delicious.
The name ‘palmier’ is short for the French term, short for Feuille de palmier, which means ‘palm tree leaf’.
VARIATIONS TO THIS RECIPE
- Crispy bacon and Swiss cheese
- Prosciutto and Asiago cheese
- Goat cheese and chopped figs
- Caramelized onion, gruyere cheese, and small bits of chicken
EQUIPMENT USED IN THIS RECIPE
- Souffle Dish Ramekins for Baking – 12 Ounce (Set of 4, White with 4 Extra Spoons)
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup – use this in the microwave and put it in the dishwasher.
- Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons-6 Piece – I love the long, rectangle design. They even fit into small spice jars.
- Stainless Steel Rolling Pin and Silicone Baking Pastry Mat Set – A stainless steel rolling pin, so the dough sticks less AND it even has rings that fit on the ends of the rolling pin so you can accurately roll out the perfect thickness. Genius!
- AirBake Nonstick 2 Pack Cookie Sheet Set – These baking sheets are insulated, helping the bottom of your baked goods get perfectly browned, but not too brown.
- AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat Sheet, Set of 2 – Why pay for the fancy French name? These are amazing…and inexpensive.
- OXO Good Grips Silicone Basting & Pastry Brush – Use this on the grill, on chicken, pork and throw it into the dishwasher. Love that!
Make it a party with this recipe for Honey Bourbon Glazed Scallops or a Baked Brie With Honey And Pecans. A Pineapple Habanero Cheese Ball and a plate of Extra Flavorful Jalapeno Poppers could round out your cocktail party.Print
This savory appetizer is a delicious flaky, buttery pastry bursting with roasted garlic and Parmesan cheese.
1 large head of garlic
¼ cup olive oil
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
½ package frozen puff pastry, thawed
Flour for dusting your surface
1 large egg, beaten
First, roast the garlic. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. With your fingers, peel away most of the thin, papery layers. Using a sharp knife, cut about ¼-inch off of the top of the garlic.
Place the whole garlic head into a small baking dish. A large ramekin would be perfect. Drizzle the olive oil over the garlic and cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil.
Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat. Set aside.
Once the garlic is cool enough to handle, Pour any remaining oil into a small bowl. Squeeze 8 to 10 cloves of the garlic into the small bowl. The remaining garlic can be saved in an airtight container and stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Sprinkle the Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes over the garlic.
Using a fork, mash the garlic and spices into a fine paste. Sprinkle in the parmesan cheese. Stir well to combine. Set aside.
Next, roll out the pastry. Lightly flour the surface that you will be rolling out the dough. Unfold the sheet of the pastry and smooth out any creases.
Roll the pastry into a rectangle about ¼-inch thick. You should only have to make a couple of passes over the pastry with the rolling pin.
Using an offset spatula, spread the garlic mixture over the pastry in an even layer all the way from edge to edge.
Starting with the long side facing you, carefully roll one side, jelly roll style until you get to the middle of the dough. Then roll the other long side so that it meets in the middle. Don’t overlap them. Press down gently to flatten it out.
Brush the roll with the egg wash.
Turn the log horizontal. Trim off ½-inch from one end and discard.
Slice the log crosswise into ½-inch slices. You should have about 15 pieces.
Lay the slices on the prepared baking sheet, about 2-inches apart.
Brush the outer edges with the egg wash.
Place in the refrigerator and chill for about 15 minutes until the pastry is firm to the touch.
Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking until the pastries are puffed and golden brown, another 25 – 30 minutes.
Cool slightly before serving.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- Category: Starter-Appetizer
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: appetizer, puff pastry, roasted garlic, starters, parmesan cheese, savory appetizer