A quick and easy appetizer that is creamy, tangy, and chock full of delicious sweet heat. Covered in salty, smoky bacon and even more cheddar, this is wonderful served with crackers or bagel chips.
When I call this a quick and easy appetizer, I’m not kidding. With a mixer, it is literally a dump and mix, then roll and chill recipe. Plus, it looks pretty on a plate with crackers-making it perfect for entertaining.
WHAT IS PINEAPPLE HABANERO SAUCE?
Any sweet, savory, chunky sauce, preserve, or jam can be used. I personally like the Robert Rothschild brand. It is a blend of roasted pineapple, red pepper, mango, onion, and of course, spicy habanero chiles.
There are so many delicious types and brands out there, but if you’re like me and want to try making your own sauce, it’s not difficult. Here is the recipe from Momslifeboat.com that I found to try that is just delicious. It’s a much cheaper option if you have the time.
- Use Monterey Jack cheese instead of sharp cheddar for a milder flavor.
- Want a vegetarian option? Instead of chopped bacon, try rolling the ball in finely chopped smokehouse almonds. You still get the salty, smoky flavor without the meat.
- Not looking for a cheeseball, add in ½ cup sour cream and spread the mixture into a shallow bowl. Top with the cheddar and bacon for a lovely dip or spread.
Let’s make it a full-on cocktail party! Here are a few ideas:
- Cosmopolitan Martini
- Spicy Roasted Red Pepper And Feta Dip
- Extra Flavorful Jalapeno Poppers
- Blackberry Goat Cheese Crostini from Gastronomblog.com
- A Classic Gin Martini by ABarAbove.com
This quick and easy appetizer is a delicious combination of sweet heat, smokey bacon, and creamy, tangy cheese. Serve this with crackers or bagel chips. This pretty cheese ball is perfect for game day, tailgating, or entertaining.
12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
¾ cup Roasted pineapple & habanero sauce (I use Robert Rothschild brand)
1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
2 green onions, minced, both white and green parts
3 slices bacon, cooked very crisp and crumbled
¼ cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
In a large bowl and using an electric hand mixer, mix together the cream cheese, roasted pineapple and habanero sauce, 1 cup shredded cheese, and the minced green onions until well mixed.
Using your hands, roll the mixture into a ball. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix together the bacon crumbs and ¼ cup finely shredded cheese in a shallow bowl.
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: quick and easy appetizer, cheese ball, appetizer recipes, cream cheese recipes, sweet and spicy, game day recipes, tailgating recipes