This spicy, smoky, garlicky roasted red pepper and feta dip may be a party in a bowl. Ready in less than 10 minutes using simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand, this flavorful dip is sure to be your new easy ‘go-to’ recipe for when you ‘entertain on the fly’.
Do you enjoy making a meal out of 3 or 4 simple appetizers? It’s one of my favorite things to enjoy with friends and family. A few ‘small plates’, a great glass of wine, and time to slowly nosh – mindfully savoring each bite, some with a sip of wine and some without. It feels so decadent and self-indulgent.
I will admit that this dip may not be the most beautiful dish to serve, but it is so satisfying, rich, spicy, and irresistible. I like to serve it with warm, fresh pita triangles, fresh vegetables, or tortilla chips. It’s even good on grilled chicken or as a sandwich spread.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST SPICY ROASTED RED PEPPER AND FETA DIP
- Use really good quality feta cheese. This is the star of the show and you want to maximize its briny flavor. Really good feta should be white with a few small holes on the top. Pass by any yellowish feta or feta with lots of large holes. The cheese should be pleasantly pungent in both aroma and flavor. It should taste tangy and beautifully salty, crumbly and yet finishes creamy.
- You also want to use a premium extra virgin olive oil. Buy the highest quality that you can afford. Look for a variety that is robust in flavor and golden in color. Olive oil is like wine. Each has a different flavor with differing nuances. Olive oil also comes in a mild, medium, or robust flavor. For this recipe, you want a medium flavored oil. Also, olive oil retains its freshness best in a cool, dark place. Therefore, never pick an olive oil that is bottled in clear glass. Pick one in dark glass or even tin.
- If you are short on time, indulge in the convenience of jarred roasted red peppers. They are an easy and delicious time saver. Trust me. No one will know you took the shortcut.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH YOUR SPICY ROASTED RED PEPPER AND FETA DIP
Make a delicious Tapas meal with a few of my favorite appetizers.Print
This appetizer is a ‘go-to’ recipe for when you need a quick appetizer. Smoky roasted red pepper, briny, creamy feta cheese, and just a bit of a vinegar tang rounds out this easy and delicious dip. Serve with pita chips, naan bread, or tortilla chips.
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- First, roast the red peppers. Place the peppers on a baking sheet and broil in the oven for about 2-3 minutes. Using long tongs, turn the pepper and continue broiling on the remaining sides until the pepper is charred all the way around. Remove the pan from the oven and place the peppers in a bowl with a tight fitting lid. Allow the peppers to steam for at least 10 minutes. Peel the blackened skin from the pepper. You may want to keep a few charred bits, if you like the smoky flavor. Remove the seeds and roughly chop the peppers.
- Place the roasted peppers and all of the other ingredients into a bowl of a food processor. Process until desired smoothness is achieved.
- Taste and adjust for seasonings. Is it salty enough? Spicy enough? Does it have enough tang?
- Spoon the dip into a bowl and cover tightly.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to marry.
- Serve with pita bread, crudite, naan bread, or tortilla chips.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Serving Size: 1
Get inspired with this lovely video on roasting red peppers: