This tropical cocktail will make you think of warm breezes on a gorgeous beach, with your toes buried in the sand.
This drink is a sweet concoction full of fruit juices and rum. It goes down smooth and packs a punch, so be careful.
There are as many variations on this drink as there are bars, but all Rum Runners include rum, orange and/or pineapple juice, and some kind of liqueur – or two.
WHERE DID THE RUM RUNNER ORIGINATE?
Rumour has it that this drink was developed in the 1950s at a Tiki bar in Islamorada in the Florida Keys by a bartender who had just a bit of several different rums and liqueurs. Rather than waste so many boozy remnants, he mixed them all together and the rest is history.
VARIATIONS ON THIS TROPICAL COCKTAIL
- Swap out the dark rum for a spiced rum like Sailor Jerry or Captain Morgan.
- Use a coconut rum, like Malibu, for even more tropical flair.
- Make it a frozen drink. Instead of shaking and pouring over ice, combine all the ingredients into a blender and blend until frothy. Pour it into a hurricane glass, garnish, and enjoy.
EQUIPMENT USED IN THIS RECIPE
- Stainless Steel 24 Ounce Cocktail Shaker Bar Set with Measuring Jigger and Mixing Spoon – pretty, functional, and kinda fun to play with.
- Venero Crystal Whiskey Glasses, Set of 4 Scotch Glasses in Luxury Gift Box, Tumblers for Drinking Bourbon, Cognac, Irish Whisky, Large 10oz Premium Lead-Free Crystal – pretty glasses that are multi-functional
Looking for more fun cocktail recipes? Here are a few suggestions:
- Blood Orange Mojito
- The Ultimate Chocolate Martini
- Pumpkin Pie Martini
- Cosmopolitan Martini
- Spiked Florida Swamp Water
- Classic Cadillac Margarita
- Fresh Strawberry Key Lime Margarita
- Cool Lychee Martini Cocktail
A tropical cocktail that’s fruity and packs a punch. 2 different rums, 2 liqueurs, and juices make a delicious drink that evokes memories of your favorite Tiki bar.
1 ounce Light rum
1 ounce Dark rum
1 ounce Banana liqueur
1 ounce Blackberry liqueur
1 ounce Orange juice
1 ounce Pineapple juice
Splash of grenadine
Fruit, for garnish
Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker.
Shake vigorously until well combined.
Pour into a cocktail glass and garnish with fruit.
- Category: Starters - Cocktails
- Method: Shake
- Cuisine: Tropical
Keywords: cocktails, cocktail recipes, tropical cocktails, tropical cocktail recipe, rum drinks