Who doesn’t love onion rings or bacon? This fun Father’s Day side dish combines both for a flavor sensation. Then just to kick it up a notch, glaze the bacon with maple syrup! Insanely good! Treat Dad to a hearty, fun meal by adding an Ultimate Tomahawk Steak, a few Rosemary Garlic Grilled Veggies, and a Classic Wedge Salad.
I could not believe my eyes the first time I saw bacon wrapped onion rings. I was at a tailgating event in Louisianna and a group was serving them as appetizers. Well, one bite and I was hooked. The combination of the sweet, soft onion, the savory breading, and then crispy bacon wrapped all around. Come on! It was magical.
So when I made them the first time at home, I wanted to use frozen onion rings, because I’m kinda lazy and frozen onion rings are delicious. I also wanted to glaze the outside. What’s easier than maple syrup – which, by the way, goes great with bacon.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS FUN FATHER’S DAY SIDE DISH
- I’ve found that using breaded onion rings rather than batter-dipped works much better. The onion rings that were battered absorbed too much of the bacon fat and the coating got mushy-almost slimy. Not good.
- Use the big onion rings in the bag. Buy two bags if you need to. The smaller onion rings or the thick ones are harder to wrap with the bacon.
- Use regular sliced bacon or even thin sliced bacon. You want the outside to get beautifully crisp.
More menu ideas for Dad:
- Copycat Old Bay Hot Sauce & Maryland Style Wings
- Easy Taco Mac & Cheese
- Sweet And Tangy Green Bean Bundles
Give Dad a Cajun treat:Print
This fun Father’s Day side dish is everything that Dad loves – onion rings, bacon, and a maple glaze. It makes a great side dish or appetizer.
1 (16-ounce) package frozen onion rings
1 pound bacon
½ cup maple syrup
Wrap 2 slices of bacon through the middle of each onion ring and wrap around the onion ring.
Place on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining onion rings and bacon.
Pour the maple syrup into a small bowl. Set aside.
Bake in the preheated oven until the bacon is almost fully cooked – about 20 minutes.
Return to the oven and bake for another 5-7 minutes until the glaze is dried and shiny.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fun Father's Day side dish, onion ring recipe, appetizers, Game day recipes, side dish