Who doesn’t love onion rings or bacon? These Glazed Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings are a fun Father’s Day side dish that combines both for a flavor sensation that will knock dad’s socks off. Then just to kick it up a notch, glaze the bacon with maple syrup! Insanely good!
Glazed Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings
I could not believe my eyes the first time I saw bacon-wrapped onion rings. I was at a tailgating event in Louisiana and a group was serving them as appetizers. Well one bite, and I was hooked. The combination of the sweet, soft onion, the savory breading, and then crispy bacon wrapped all around it was incredible. Come on! The flavor combination was insane!
So when I made them the first time at home, I wanted to use frozen onion rings, because I’m kinda lazy, and frozen onion rings are delicious. I also wanted to glaze the outside, which got me thinking, “What’s easier than maple syrup?” It also goes great with bacon!
- Frozen onion rings – I like the breaded rather than batter-dipped. I found that the batter-dipped onion rings got slimy beneath the bacon. Any kind of frozen onion ring will work.
- Bacon – Use a regular cut or thin cut. Thick-cut bacon doesn’t get crispy enough in the oven.
- Maple syrup – Use real maple syrup, not pancake syrup. You could also use honey as a glaze. For a spicy kick, the hot honey would be delicious.
Tips For Making This Fun Father’s Day Side Dish
- Use the big onion rings in the bag. Buy two bags if you need to. The smaller onion rings or the thick ones are harder to wrap with the bacon.
- Use regular sliced bacon or even thin sliced bacon. You want the outside to get beautifully crisp.
- A silicone pastry brush is the best way to get a thin, even coating of the syrup on the bacon.
- For a crunchy, salty bite, lightly sprinkle the glazed onion rings with coarse sea salt before baking them. Don’t use too much salt because the bacon is salty as well.
More menu ideas for Dad:
- Copycat Old Bay Hot Sauce & Maryland Style Wings
- Easy Taco Mac & Cheese
- Sweet And Tangy Green Bean Bundles
Give Dad a Cajun treat:Print
These Glazed Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings make a fun Father’s Day side dish with all of the flavors and textures that Dad loves – sweet, salty, crunchy, savory. It makes a great side dish or appetizer.
1 (16-ounce) package frozen onion rings
1 pound bacon
½ cup maple syrup
Wrap 2 slices of bacon through the middle of each onion ring and wrap around the onion ring.
Place on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining onion rings and bacon.
Pour the maple syrup into a small bowl. Set aside.
Bake in the preheated oven until the bacon is almost fully cooked – about 20 minutes.
Return to the oven and bake for another 5-7 minutes until the glaze is dried and shiny.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fun Father's Day side dish, onion ring recipe, appetizers, Game day recipes, side dish, glazed bacon wrapped onion rings