This Easy Butternut Squash Soup is warm, comforting, and full of earthy, sweet, yet savory flavor. It’s a great way to start off an autumn meal or take for a light lunch.
THE BEST EASY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
The best part of this recipe is the simple ingredients that add so much flavor. Vegetables that are sauteed in butter start to build the flavor in this recipe.
Using frozen, cubed squash saves so much time and effort in this recipe. If you’ve ever tried to peel and cube fresh butternut squash, then you’ll realize how much of a time saver frozen squash can be.
The wine, cinnamon, and bit of sugar highlight the earthy, savory flavors, while the heavy cream rounds out all of the flavors and marries them together in the most creamy, delicious way!
HOW DO I MAKE THIS SOUP?
The best part of this recipe is how easy it comes together and how incredibly yummy it is!
Fist, saute onion, garlic, celery, carrot, bell pepper, potato, and squash in butter until the onions turn translucent.
Next, pour in the chicken stock, wine, salt, cinnamon, and sugar, and simmer until all the veggies are tender.
Use an immersion blender to puree it into a smooth, thick soup that is infinitely satisfying. Then add the bit of creamy for that luscious mouthfeel. Oh, what could be more comforting!
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
- Take advantage of the frozen cubes of butternut squash. This is such a time saver and tastes as good as fresh.
- Because this soup already has a sweetness to it, I’ve used sweeter wines like Pinot Grigio instead of a dry chardonnay. Play with the type of wine and use one that you enjoy drinking.
- Don’t spend the time to chop the vegetables into a pretty and uniform dice. Because the soup will be blended smooth, a rough chop is all you need. That saves a ton of time.
- To cut down on fat and calories, replace the heavy cream with canned condensed milk. It tastes more luxurious without the extra fat and calories of heavy cream.
- Garnish the soup with croutons, salted pumpkin seeds, chopped herbs like basil, parsley, or mint.
If you love this great Autumn recipe, here are a few more delicious Fall recipes to try:
- Caramel Apple Cider Cocktails
- Pumpkin Pie Martini
- Pumpkin Cider Donuts With Apple Cider Glaze
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Mummy Hot Dogs With Spider Web Sauce
- Scary Halloween Pizza
- Boozy Pumpkin Truffles
- Severed Monster Finger Cookies
- Peanut Butter Truffle Spider Cookies
This Easy Butternut Squash Soup is warm and comforting and full of earthy, sweet, yet savory flavor. It is a great way to start a cool Fall meal or take for a light lunch.
4 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, chopped
4 large cloves garlic, finely minced
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
2 (20-ounce) packages frozen pre-cut butternut squash cubes (about 7–8 cups)
2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
5 cups chicken stock
2 cups dry white wine
1 tablespoon sea salt
⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup heavy cream
In a large stock pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
Add in the onion and garlic, stir and cook until the onions begin turning translucent – about 5 minutes.
Toss in the celery, carrot, red bell pepper, frozen squash, and cubed potatoes. Toss, cooking for about 5 minutes.
Pour in the chicken stock and white wine.
Bring to a boil. Cover, then simmer for about 35 minutes until the potatoes and carrots are very tender.
Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth and silky.
Stir in the sea salt, cinnamon, sugar, and heavy cream.
Taste to adjust seasonings for salt and sweetness.
Ladle into soup bowls and garnish as desired.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Starters - Soups
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy butternut squash soup, soup recipes, Fall recipes, Autumn recipes, cream soups, butternut squash