Boozy Pumpkin Truffles are decadent little balls of spiced rum-laced, pumpkin cake mixed with cream cheese frosting, and dipped into white chocolate. Yeah, I’ve gotten your attention, huh?
They are the luscious, sweet, adult treats that you need after a long day.
ALMOST LIKE THE MILK BAR CAKE TRUFFLES
Have you had the cake balls from the Milk Bar in NYC? They deliver now. It is utterly dangerous to ours (okay, my) waistline. Plus, they’re expensive. And yet, they are worth Every. Single. Penny!
My only alternative to being both fat and broke is to make my own. So if I am going to make my own, they WILL have some kind of booze, because why not?
HOW DO I MAKE BOOZY PUMPKIN TRUFFLES?
- First, we’re going to make a spiced pumpkin cake. Using a boxed cake mix makes this a lot easier and still taste incredible.
- Here is where the magic comes into the recipe. When the cake is hot, poke holes into the cake and pour a healthy amount of spiced rum over the cake to allow the cake to absorb the alcohol while it cools. Then it gets crumbled into crumbs.
- Premade frosting is good, but this easy frosting recipe is outstanding. You mix together butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar. This gets mixed into the crumbs.
- Our next step is making balls out of the dough and freezing them.
- Melt vegetable shortening and white chocolate together in the microwave, then dip the frozen balls.
- Decorate the tops, if desired, and wait, wait, wait for the short time it takes for the coating to harden. This is the most difficult part.
TIPS FOR PERFECT CAKE BALLS
- Use a cookie scoop for evenly sized cake balls. The scoop makes this recipe so easy.
- Be sure to line the baking sheets with waxed paper. It makes moving the balls a breeze without messing up the shape of them.
- Don’t want the booze? No problem. You can eliminate the step or use a little simple syrup or take a hint from The Milk Bar and use milk with a bit of vanilla extract in it.
- If you want to decorate the top, do so right after you dip the ball. Once the coating hardens, the crumbs or sprinkles won’t stick. You can still drizzle more chocolate over top though!
Here are a few more sweet pumpkin recipes to try:Print
Boozy Pumpkin Truffles are decadent little balls of spiced rum-laced, pumpkin cake mixed with cream cheese frosting, and dipped into white chocolate. They are the luscious, sweet, adult treats that you need after a long day.
For the cake:
1 box white cake mix
¾ cup milk
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 cup pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie mix
2 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
½ cup spiced rum
For the frosting:
½ cup salted butter, room temperature
2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 ½ – 2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
For the coating:
1–3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1 pound white chocolate wafers or chips
1 cup sprinkles, graham cracker crumbs, cinnamon-sugar, or whatever you would like to use as a garnish on the tops of the truffles
Make the cake.
Grease a 9×13-inch pan. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Spoon into the prepared pan. Use an offset spatula to smooth the top of the batter.
Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Use a fork to poke holes all over the hot cake.
Pour the spiced rum evenly all over the hot cake. Set aside to cool completely.
When cool, crumble the cake into very fine crumbs into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
Make the frosting.
Slowly add in the powdered sugar and mix well until a frosting consistency is achieved.
Add the frosting to the cake crumbs and use a spatula to fold the ingredients together until smooth and well combined.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Set aside.
Use a medium cookie scoop to scoop out the dough and roll into balls. Place on the baking sheet. Repeat the process until all of the dough has been rolled into balls.
Place the baking sheet into the freezer and allow to freeze for at least 1 hour.
Melt the coating.
In a medium, microwave-safe bowl, add the white chocolate and shortening. Microwave on medium power in 30-second increments until fully melted and smooth. Stir after each increment in the microwave.
Line another baking sheet with waxed paper.
Remove the cake balls from the freezer.
Use two spoons to dip each cake ball into the melted chocolate. Roll around to coat fully.
Use a toothpick to remove the ball from the chocolate and allow the excess to drip back into the bowl.
Place the cake ball onto the prepared baking sheet.
Repeat the process with the remaining cake balls.
If desired, before the coating hardens decorate the top with a sprinkle of cinnamon-sugar, sprinkles, cake crumbs, graham cracker crumbs, or drizzle with chocolate.
Store in the refrigerator to allow the coating to harden. Serve cold.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: boozy pumpkin truffles, pumpkin spice, adult desserts, spiced rum, truffle recipes, adult candy, boozy desserts,