A Classic Waldorf Salad is a cool, creamy, and crunchy summer side dish that goes wonderfully with barbecue and makes a great light lunch. This is a perfect salad for National Walnut Day!
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
I like to serve this salad with Burnt Ends (aka Meat Candy), Tangy Green Bean Potato Salad, Brown Sugar And Bourbon Baked Beans, Texas Pea Salad, and Crunchy Cornbread Waffles for a plant-heavy buffet meal.
HISTORY OF THE WALDORF SALAD
The salad was created for a children’s hospital charity ball held at the Waldorf Hotel on March 14, 1893, by a Swiss immigrant named Oscar Tschirky. The simple salad became an instant hit, leading the Waldorf’s executive chef to add it to the hotel’s menu.
INGREDIENTS FOR A CLASSIC WALDORF SALAD
- Plain Greek yogurt or mayonnaise
- Light brown sugar – you could also use granulated sugar, Stevia, honey, or maple syrup
- Lemon juice or lime juice – the citrus will keep the apples from turning brown
- Apples – I used Granny Smith, but any apple that you enjoy eating works well
- Grapes – red or green, but always seedless
- Romaine lettuce leaves – remove the tough stem and tear the leaves into bite-size pieces
- Walnuts – you could also do pecans
- Fresh parsley
HOW DO I MAKE THIS SALAD?
First, mix up the dressing by whisking all of the ingredients together.
Next, slice and dice the apples, celery, grapes, nuts, and parsley.
Toss the dressing and the fruit/vegetable mixture.
Serve chilled on a bed of lettuce.
- Make the salad a complete meal by tossing in some grilled chicken or shrimp
- Up the nutritional content by tossing in some pear, dates, pine nuts, radish, etc.
- Make it spicy by stirring in Cajun seasoning into the dressing
- By adding dried fruit like raisins or craisins, you add an interesting texture to the salad
- Chop the ingredients finer and use as a filling in a croissant
CLASSIC WALDORF SALAD
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
This Classic Waldorf Salad is the cool, creamy, and crisp side dish that goes wonderfully with grilled meats, barbecues, or potlucks and parties.
For the dressing:
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
For the salad:
- 1 ½ cups chopped apples, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¾ cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup red grapes, halved
- 1 cup torn romaine lettuce leaves
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh parsley
Make the dressing.
In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Set aside.
Place the apples, celery, grapes, romaine lettuce, walnuts and parsley in a large bowl.
Pour the dressing over the fruit and toss to coat.
Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Starters - Soups and Salads
- Method: Toss
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: classic Waldorf salad, salad recipes, apples, celery, grapes, walnuts, National Walnut Day, healthy side dish, healthy starters