This healthy salad is a lovely blend of tastes and textures. It goes great with grilled meats, so it’s perfect for summer barbecues. I like serving it with Grilled Piri Piri Chicken or Sticky And Spicy Sriracha Chicken Drumsticks.
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Beets are one of the most maligned vegetables. People either love them or hate them. I believe that if you’ve only eaten canned beets, give a roasted, fresh beet a go and see if it changes your mind. I believe it will.
Roasted beets take on a sweet, earthy flavor that pairs well with the acidic tang of pineapple. The cashews for crunch and the goat cheese for creamy goodness make this healthy salad one that I hope you make over and over again.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS HEALTHY SALAD
- Take the time to wrap each fresh beet in foil and roasting in the foil. This way you can test each beet separately, ensuring that you will not have one or two beets that are overcooked and mushy.
- Don’t overcook the beets. You want them tender, but still firm enough that you can get thin slices.
- Use a sharp paring knife to pare the roasted beets. Also, you may want to wear disposable gloves so you don’t have pink fingers for a week.
- Add the beets to the salad just before serving so that their red color doesn’t leach onto the other ingredients. It doesn’t affect the flavor of the salad, but it makes it look messy.
- Use a plastic lettuce knife or tear the lettuces so that they don’t brown on the edges.
- Not a fan of cashews? Try sliced almonds, walnuts, or any other nut that you enjoy.
- The goat cheese adds a salty, creaminess to the salad. Feta would also work or omit the cheese altogether for a vegan salad.
Healthy salads are such a summer staple. Here are a few more for you to try:
- French White Bean Salad
- Ultimate Cobb Salad
- Spinach Salad With Bacon Dressing
- Fennel And Orange Salad With Champagne Vinaigrette
- Homemade Chicken Caeser Salad
- Southwest Quinoa Salad With Spicy Lime Vinaigrette
- Creamy Broccoli Salad
- Classic Caprese Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Classic Wedge Salad
TROPICAL BEET SALAD
- Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 - 6 1x
This healthy salad is a bright, fresh burst of flavor with roasted beets, pineapple, cashews, and goat cheese. This colorful salad goes great with grilled meats.
- 4 medium beets
- 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 2 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1 cup chopped radicchio lettuce
- ½ cup cashews
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, very finely minced
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Roast the beets.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wrap each beet individually in aluminum foil. Place the beets on a baking sheet and roast until tender when pierced with a sharp knife- about 45 minutes to hour.
When cool enough to handle, unwrap the beets and peel with a sharp knife. Slice each beet into thin slices. Set aside.
Make the dressing.
In a large measuring cup, whisk together the orange juice, vinegar, mustard, shallot, salt, and pepper. While whisking, drizzle in the olive oil until emulsified.
In a large salad bowl, add the romaine and radicchio lettuces. Pour 1 or 2 tablespoons of dressing over and toss to coat each leaf.
Toss in the pineapple, cashews, and goat cheese. Toss lightly.
Nestle the slices of roasted beet into the salad.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Starters - Salads
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Tropical
Keywords: healthy salads, roasted beets, tropical flavors, pineapple, salads, starters