A Green smoothie is a great quick breakfast option that leaves you feeling healthy and virtuous. This smoothie has a smooth texture and a great, sweet taste. You won’t taste the spinach or kale!
I go through stages of food obsessions, especially for breakfast. Sometimes, I have to have an egg on a piece of whole-wheat toast, other times I am obsessed with oatmeal bowls or an egg, sausage, and grits bowl. The list goes on and on.
In between stages, I find that I usually go back to a cold, sweet smoothie. This one is one of my favorites. It is sweet and the texture is very smooth.
WHAT IS THE BASE FOR THIS QUICK BREAKFAST?
One of the best things about this smoothie recipe is how customizable it is. Use the fruits that you have in your freezer or refrigerator.
- Frozen fruit. This is what will make your smoothie thick and cold.
- Green leafy vegetable – spinach, kale, or any green leafy vegetable.
- Herbs for extra flavor. I love mint, but lemongrass, basil, even parsley would add nutrients and flavor.
- Avocado – just a little bit for some healthy fat, which will keep you satisfied. It also adds a smoothness that is delicious.
- Liquid of some kind – almond milk, coconut milk, regular milk, green tea, or any kind of juice
Make things easier on yourself by slicing and freezing snack bags of fruit. This one small step makes a huge difference.
ADDITIONS AND VARIATIONS
- Seeds are so healthy and delicious. Try chia or flax seeds.
- Skip the avocado and add 1 tablespoon MCT oil
- A scoop of protein powder
- Make a tropical smoothie with frozen pineapple, spinach, frozen coconut chunks, coconut milk
- Strawberries, kale, avocado, basil, and almond milk
EQUIPMENT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE EASIER
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup – use this in the microwave and put it in the dishwasher.
- Cuisinart Smart Stick 2 Speed Hand Blender – If you only have so much room for kitchen gadgets, this one is one to make room for. I blend smoothies, soups, salad dressings, and the list goes on and on.
- Thunder Group Stainless Steel Milkshake Tumblers, Set of 6, 30 Ounces – no more spillage when blending a smoothie, or a milkshake, or an adult libation.
When you have more time in the mornings, here are a few more recipes to try:
- Vegetarian Migas Tacos
- Broccoli and Cheese Egg Muffins
- Easy Sausage Kolaches
- Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
This quick breakfast option is a delicious, sweet way to start the day. You won’t even remember how healthy it is.
1 cup frozen green apple chunks
1–2 peeled, sliced kiwi fruit
2 fresh mint leaves
1 cup fresh baby spinach or kale
1–2 cups almond milk
Small slice of fresh ginger (to taste)
Dash of cinnamon
Sweetener of your choice, to taste
Add all of the ingredients to a blender or a large, tall cup and use an immersion blender.
Blend until very smooth.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: quick breakfast option, smoothies, smoothie recipes, breakfast, breakfast recipes, brunch, brunch recipes, healthy food, healthy recipes