What could be better than a hot and filling grab and go breakfast? This easy breakfast recipe is cheesy, meaty, and so satisfying.
If you’ve ever traveled through Texas, then you have probably enjoyed a breakfast kolache. It’s basically a breakfast pig-in-a-blanket. If you’re wondering what I mean, think of a biscuit or other type of flaky dough that is filled with savory breakfast items like eggs, bacon, sausage, and cheese. And they are delicious.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE EASY SAUSAGE KOLACHES?
Five ingredients are all that are required for this easy breakfast recipe. Link sausage, a can of refrigerated biscuits, a bit of flour, cheese, and an egg. That’s it.
WHAT EQUIPMENT WILL I NEED?
- AirBake Nonstick 2 Pack Cookie Sheet Set – These baking sheets are insulated, helping the bottom of your baked goods get perfectly browned, but not too brown.
- AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat Sheet, Set of 2 – Why pay for the fancy French name? These are amazing…and inexpensive.
- OXO Good Grips Silicone Basting & Pastry Brush – Use this on the grill, on chicken, pork and throw it into the dishwasher. Love that!
VARIATIONS ON THIS RECIPE:
- Try a bit of scrambled egg with or without the sausage.
- Sauteed vegetables make a healthy and tasty addition. I like onions and peppers myself, but spinach, mushrooms, kale, or even potatoes would be good. Be sure to mince the veggies very fine so that they fit into the pocket.
- Different cheeses would change the flavor of this breakfast a lot. Feta, mozzarella, or swiss are great alternatives. Goat or cream cheese would be a gooey and delicious treat.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does. Here are a few other breakfast suggestions that your family may like:Print
This easy breakfast recipe makes a delicious and fast breakfast on the go. Warm sausage and melted cheese is wrapped in a flaky biscuit. With only five ingredients, this is easy enough to make even on weekdays.
8 sausage links
1 can refrigerated biscuits, 8 count
Flour for dusting
4 slices cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat. Set aside.
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausages until just cooked through. Remove from heat and place the sausage on paper towels to absorb any excess fat. Set aside.
Sprinkle a small amount of flour onto your work surface.
Open and separate the can of biscuits. Using one biscuit at a time, flatten and spread the dough out into an oval shape that is 1 ½ times the size of the sausage link.
Place half of a cheese slice onto the dough and then top with one sausage link.
Wrap the biscuit dough around the filling and pinch the seam together.
Place the kolache seam side down onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining biscuits, cheese, and sausage.
Brush each kolache with the beaten egg.
Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy breakfast recipe, kolaches, sausage recipes, breakfast on the go, weekday breakfast