Bright green, smooth, and creamy, this is the best cream of asparagus soup. It is rich enough to enjoy as a light summer dinner or makes a lovely appetizer. This luscious soup can be served warm or cold if you have leftovers.
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
If your grocery is anything like mine, the one constant in the produce aisle, even during the quarantine when lots of items were in short supply, is asparagus. I’ve roasted it, sauteed it with garlic and parmesan, wrapped it in prosciutto, even breaded and oven-fried it. So why not make soup?
WHAT IS IN THE BEST CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP
- The main ingredient is asparagus. Another nice part of this recipe is that you can use the bigger stalks since we’re going to puree it in the soup.
- Aromatics to make it taste delicious. For this soup, I’m using onions and garlic.
- Flour – just a bit, which will help thicken the soup. No worries about lumps since we’re going to puree everything together.
- Chicken broth and white wine
- Heavy cream for richness, fat-free evaporated milk will add creaminess without adding a ton more calories, and sour cream for a bit of tanginess.
- Finish the soup with a drizzle of lemon juice to add a brightness to the soup. It makes a big difference.
I like to serve the best cream of asparagus soup with a Tropical Beet Salad, Pickled Deviled Eggs, and a few Savory Roasted Garlic & Parmesan Palmiers.
THE BEST CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
Smooth, creamy, and rich enough for a light summer dinner, this is the best cream of asparagus soup.
4 tablespoons butter
2 pounds fresh asparagus, roughly chopped. Reserve the tops as a garnish.
1 large onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons flour
3 cups chicken broth
½ cup dry white wine
1 cup heavy cream
1 (12-ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
½ cup sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste.
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
In a large Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat.
Saute the asparagus, onion, and garlic until the onion is translucent – about 10 minutes.
Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
Pour in the chicken broth and white wine. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring often.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the asparagus is tender – about 10 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat.
Use an immersion blender to puree the vegetables until smooth. You can also puree the mixture in a blender.
Return the pot to the heat and stir in the heavy cream, evaporated milk, sour cream, salt, and pepper.
Simmer the soup over low heat, stirring very often, until hot. Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice.
Ladle into bowls and garnish with the asparagus tops.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Starter - Soups
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: the best cream of asparagus soup, pureed soups, soup recipes, cream soups, vegetable soup, summer soups
1 thought on “THE BEST CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP”