This easy side dish for creamed spinach is a decadent, creamy dish that is also low carb. Sure to become a family favorite, it tastes like what you order at those fancy restaurants but is cheaper and ready in about 30 minutes.
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Creamed spinach is one of those luxurious side dishes that pair well with beef, ham, and chicken. It’s also a staple on a holiday table.
WHAT MAKES FOR A GOOD CREAMED SPINACH?
Good creamed spinach is life-changing. I don’t like it when the spinach is chopped into tiny bits. I don’t want it too dry, but I don’t want it swimming in sauce either.
And the sauce! I want the sauce to be creamy and flavorful. The onions and garlic should be minced so finely that they literally melt into the silky white sauce. It should also have a subtle saltiness from really good, aged parmesan and just a touch of tangy Swiss cheese. Is your mouth watering yet? Mine too.
This easy side dish recipe brings out the fresh taste of the spinach and keeps its bright green color. Plus, keeping the leaves whole instead of chopping them adds a lovely texture to the dish instead of something that resembles baby food.
While this recipe isn’t exactly healthy, it is low carb and the spinach is rich in nutrients. Doubtful of the healthy benefits of spinach? I found this great website that lists ALL the benefits of this beautiful leaf.
TIPS FOR THE BEST STEAKHOUSE CREAMED SPINACH
- You can use whole milk instead of half & half or heavy cream. Using low fat or skim milk will change the texture, mouthfeel, and taste of your dish.
- Fresh baby spinach is the best spinach since the leaves are more tender and less bitter than larger spinach leaves.
- You can use frozen spinach. Just thaw and squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Don’t skip the nutmeg. It brings out the nutty flavor of the cheese and adds a depth of flavor to the final dish.
- The hot sauce, while optional, adds a slight warmth and brightens the dish with a bit of acidity.
Complete your steakhouse meal at home with these recipes:
- Classic Wedge Salad
- The Ultimate Tomahawk Steak
- Roasted Garlic Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
- Incredible Molten Lava Cake
- Fruity Red Wine Sangria
An easy side dish recipe that brings the classic steakhouse favorite to your dinner table. Creamy and decadent, this recipe can be on your table in about 30 minutes.
- 2 ¼ pounds fresh baby spinach (or use 1 pound of frozen)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large shallots, very finely minced
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely minced
- 4 teaspoons Kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ cup all purpose flour (for low carb, use ½ teaspoon xanthan gum)
- 3 cups half and half
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce, optional
- ½ cup grated swiss cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a full rolling boil.
- Add 2 teaspoons of salt and the spinach. Cook until the spinach is just wilted, about 1 minute.
- Drain the spinach in a colander. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Using your hands, squeeze as much water as possible out of the spinach. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter.
- Add the minced shallots and garlic. Saute until the shallots are translucent and soft, about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of salt, white pepper, and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the flour (or xanthan gum) over the mixture and stir well. Cook, stirring constantly for 2 -3 minutes until the flour just starts to brown slightly.
- Whisk in the half and half, heavy cream, and hot sauce, if using. Continue whisking until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Stir in the swiss cheese, cream cheese, and parmesan. Stir until the cheeses melt.
- Add the cooked spinach and stir into the sauce.
- Serve hot.
This dish can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight. Reheat as needed over low heat, stirring constantly until hot.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving Size: Serves 4 -6