These roasted vegetable sandwiches are a healthy, vegetarian meal that’s perfect for a Lenten dinner, Meatless Monday, or a picnic lunch. The homemade hoagie dressing adds a ton of flavor.
I like to serve the sandwiches with Toasted Israeli Salad, Balsamic Fruit Salad, and Decadent Cake-Like Brownies. It’s a fun meal that’s tasty and healthy – one that you can feel good about serving to your family.
ROASTED VEGETABLE SANDWICHES
One way to make vegetables delicious is to roast them. It brings out their sweetness, provides the tasty bits of caramelized edges. So good.
Now layer those yummy roasted veggies on crusty French bread that’s been slathered with a vinaigrette that’s full of flavor and seeps into the bread. And just for grins, sprinkle some salty, creamy cheese on top. So insanely delicious that you won’t miss the meat!
WHAT VEGETABLES ARE BEST FOR ROASTING
You can use any hearty vegetable to roast. Feel free to use an assortment of the following:
- Yellow Squash
- Bell peppers, poblano pepper, or jalapeno peppers
- Portobello mushrooms
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
- Slice the vegetables in a uniform thickness so they all roast perfectly
- Use a hearty, crusty bread that can stand up to the juicy roasted vegetables and the dressing
- Don’t skimp on the salt and pepper. The veggies will need the seasoning to shine in the sandwich
- Shake or whisk the dressing before slathering it onto the bread. You’ll want all those luscious spices and flavors.
Healthy and delicious, these roasted vegetable sandwiches pack a flavor punch from a homemade hoagie dressing.
For the sandwich:
- 1 small eggplant, sliced thin
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cauliflower florets, use small florets or chop them into smaller pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 (16-inch long) French bread, split lengthwise and cut into 4 sections
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded provolone cheese
For the hoagie dressing:
- ¾ cup garlic-infused olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set aside.
In a large bowl, toss all of the vegetables, except the tomato slices, with olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Spread the vegetables out in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast in the oven, stirring occasionally, until tender and starting to brown – about 25 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
Drizzle the dressing liberally on both sides of the bread.
Arrange the roasted vegetables on the bread, top with the tomato slices, and sprinkle with the provolone cheese.
Return to the oven for another 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Category: Main Dish - Sandwiches
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: roasted vegetable sandwiches, roasted vegetables, vegetarian sandwich, sandwich recipes, Lenten dinners, Meatless Monday