Healthy and delicious, these roasted vegetable sandwiches pack a flavor punch from a homemade hoagie dressing.
For the sandwich:
- 1 small eggplant, sliced thin
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cauliflower florets, use small florets or chop them into smaller pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 (16-inch long) French bread, split lengthwise and cut into 4 sections
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded provolone cheese
For the hoagie dressing:
- ¾ cup garlic-infused olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set aside.
In a large bowl, toss all of the vegetables, except the tomato slices, with olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Spread the vegetables out in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast in the oven, stirring occasionally, until tender and starting to brown – about 25 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
Drizzle the dressing liberally on both sides of the bread.
Arrange the roasted vegetables on the bread, top with the tomato slices, and sprinkle with the provolone cheese.
Return to the oven for another 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Dish - Sandwiches
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: roasted vegetable sandwiches, roasted vegetables, vegetarian sandwich, sandwich recipes, Lenten dinners, Meatless Monday