An easy one-pan meal that uses leftover beef and some of the cans you have stockpiled in your pantry. Ready in less than 20 minutes, this simple enchilada skillet will be a family favorite.
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
As you can see, this isn’t a pretty dish, but it is about as homey, comforting, and delicious as it gets. Also, it uses pantry staples and leftover meat to make a brand new dish. Did I mention that it’s delicious?
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE THIS ONE-PAN MEAL?
- Tortillas. I like using corn because I find that the flour tortillas get too soft and gummy, but feel free to use what you have on hand or like best.
- Cooked meat. I had leftover round steak, so that’s what I used, but rotisserie chicken or taco meat would also be good.
- Diced tomatoes. I like the spiciness of RoTel tomatoes that have the green chiles already in it but use what you have on hand.
- Enchilada sauce. You can use the homemade or canned stuff.
- Tomato sauce. I like the plain kind, but I’ve also used leftover pasta sauce in this dish and it was delicious.
- Cumin and chili powder.
- Velveeta cheese. I like to shred my own from a block of Velveeta because it melts so smooth and creamy. You can use any cheese you enjoy. Keep in mind that the pre-shredded bagged cheese has an anti-caking agent on it that will feel a bit grainy when melted.
VARIATIONS TO THIS RECIPE
- Vary the protein used. Ground beef or turkey, shredded chicken, cooked lentils, or shrimp would all be great in this recipe.
- Add frozen corn and black beans.
- For more heat, toss in chopped jalapenos, additional canned green chiles, and Monterey Jack cheese.
- If you want no heat at all, used plain canned diced tomatoes.
I like making this recipe in an enameled cast-iron skillet like this one, but any skillet will do.Print
This easy one-pan meal is great for a quick weeknight meal. It uses leftover beef, tortillas, and sauces to make for a savory, comforting, and hearty dinner.
12 corn tortillas, sliced into 1-inch strips
3 cups sliced or chopped leftover beef roast or round steak
1 can (10-ounces) RoTel Hot Diced Tomatoes & Green Chiles
1 can (10-ounces) red enchilada sauce
1 cup tomato sauce
½ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 cup shredded Velveeta cheese or another easy-melting cheese
Spray a large skillet with cooking spray.
Add the tortilla pieces and the sliced beef. Mix well and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, or until hot.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the canned tomatoes, enchilada sauce, tomato sauce, cumin, and chili powder.
Pour the sauce over the tortilla strips and beef in the skillet. Stir well to incorporate all the ingredients together.
Cover the skillet, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until bubbly.
Remove from the heat.
Sprinkle the cheese over the top. Replace the cover and allow the cheese to melt.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: one-pan meal, casseroles, easy weeknight dinner, beef recipes, comfort food, pantry meals