This breakfast sandwich recipe is the perfect blend of savory and sweet. Ham, cheese, jelly, and powdered sugar make for the most delicious brunch dish. People either love it or hate it. I, for one, adore this delicious treat. If you can make a grilled cheese, you will be able to serve this impressive dish to your friends and family.
WHAT IS A MONTE CRISTO?
A Monte Cristo sandwich is a ham and cheese sandwich that is dunked in an egg batter and fried like french toast. It is then served dusted with powdered sugar and a sweet jam to dip the sandwich into.
My breakfast sandwich recipe uses a Dijon mustard and mayonnaise on the bread to add creaminess and a layer of spice from the mustard. You could serve this for lunch, brunch, or even a casual weeknight dinner. It is also a wonderful way to use leftover turkey slices or ham.
I also like using a thicker white bread, like Texas toast. I also like leaving the thin crusts on the sandwich. It holds it’s shape better in the pan and looks prettier on the plate, but it is truly a matter of preference.
If you like sweet and savory, you’ll love this luscious sandwich.
TIPS FOR THE BEST MONTE CRISTO SANDWICH
- Use a good quality, soft bread. Texas toast, sourdough, Country white, or brioche all work well. You want a soft, white bread with a soft crust. To cut the crusts or not is a matter of taste.
- A sweeter deli ham makes a wonderful addition to this sandwich. Honey ham or brown sugar ham are tasty choices.
- Choose a mustard that you enjoy. It can be spicy, savory, or a sweet version such as honey mustard. The tangy mustard really cuts through the fattiness of the sandwich.
- A Gruyere or swiss cheese adds a nuttiness to the dish, but muenster or provolone also works well. The cheese adds a savory, creaminess to the sandwich. What cheese you use should satisfy your taste and preference.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH A MONTE CRISTO SANDWICH
This sandwich is so rich, side dishes should be easy and simple. I like to serve this with a simple dish of fresh fruit, a fresh green salad, or a handful of chips.
Looking for sides to serve with your breakfast sandwich? Try this recipe for Classic Strawberry Jam, or my favorite Nicaraguan Gallo Pinto. Finish your breakfast or brunch with a dish of Strawberries Romanoff.
Here are a few more amazing breakfast sandwiches to wow your family:
- The Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich by PinchofYum.com. One bite and you will crave this one all of the time.
- Cornbread Breakfast Sandwich by Stephsbitebybte.com. Different and oh, so delicious.
- Guacamole Breakfast Sandwich by DakotaLayers.com. Guacamole and egg yolk in one bite? Count me in!
A battered and fried breakfast sandwich that is a perfect blend of savory, salty, and sweet. Serve this sandwich dusted with powdered sugar and a bit of raspberry jam for dipping.
¼ cup milk
1 teaspoon powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
6 tablespoons butter, softened
4 pieces thick-sliced Texas toast white bread
2 teaspoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
8 slices ham, deli or leftover
4 slices Swiss cheese
Powdered sugar, to garnish
Red raspberry or strawberry preserves, for serving
In a shallow bowl, lightly beat milk, eggs, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
For each sandwich, lightly butter all of the bread on one side (using about ½ tablespoon of butter for each sandwich).
Slather mayonnaise on the plain side of half of the bread slices and mustard on the other slices.
Place 4 slices of ham on top of the mayonnaise slathered bread.
Top each with 2 slices of cheese, and then top with the mustard slathered, buttered bread.
Trim crusts, if desired.
Dip the sandwiches into the egg mixture to coat.
In a large non-stick skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
Place the sandwiches in the skillet and fry until golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet. Flip the sandwiches and fry until browned on the other side, about 2 minutes more and the cheese is melted.
Transfer to plates and cut in half, diagonally.
Using a fine-mesh sieve, dust the sandwich with powdered sugar.
Serve with jelly on the side.
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: breakfast sandwich, breakfast recipes, brunch recipes, sandwich recipes