When you’re craving something salty and crunchy, this healthy snack is sure to satisfy. With only four ingredients, you can whip these up in no time. The difficulty comes with trying not to eat them all in one sitting. The struggle is real.
Do you find yourself eating more during this stressful time? Worrying about pandemics, finances, keeping the family healthy, etc. can be overwhelming. You could beat yourself up over dipping your hand into the kid’s bags of chips or cut yourself some slack and make yourself a healthy snack that gives you some protein, fiber, and satisfies the desire for crunch and salt.
These crunchy chickpeas are also great to toss on top of a salad or a bowl of soup. They are a lovely accompaniment to a cocktail and they keep for about a week in a loosely covered container.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS HEALTHY SNACK
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Take the time to roll the chickpeas in paper towels to remove all exterior moisture and remove most of the skins on the peas. This will help to get them crispy.
- Season them before baking with oil and salt. Save the other seasonings to sprinkle on the hot chickpeas once roasted. This helps to ensure crunchiness.
- Keep an eye on them while baking. It will take a long time before they start to get crispy and golden brown. But they will go from perfectly golden to dark brown and hard very quickly.
EQUIPMENT USED IN THIS RECIPE
- Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons-6 Piece – I love the long, rectangle design. They even fit into small spice jars.
- AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat Sheet, Set of 2 – Why pay for the fancy French name? These are amazing…and inexpensive.
- Checkered Chef Half Sheet Aluminum Rimmed Baking Sheets (set of 2) – I own 6 of these and love them.
- Cuisinart CTG-00-3MS Set of 3 Fine Mesh Stainless Steel Strainers
So, now you have a healthy snack, how about a cocktail to go along with them? This Vodka Tom Collins is a light and refreshing adult beverage. A Brazilian Caipirinha or this Classic Cosmopolitan are both clean and fresh cocktails that go so well with the Crispy Spicy Roasted Chickpeas.Print
This healthy snack is perfect when you want a salty and crunchy treat. With only four ingredients, you can whip these up in no time.
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained thoroughly
1 tablespoon canola oil
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon taco seasoning – or seasoning blend of your choice
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat. Set aside.
Use doubled paper towels and spread the chickpeas out. Top with an additional paper towel and roll the chickpeas around to dry and remove the thin skin. Pick out the skins and discard. Continue rolling the chickpeas until any trace of moisture is gone and they are dry and most of the skins are removed.
Transfer the chickpeas to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the oil over the top and sprinkle the salt over them.
Use a large spoon to mix and toss the chickpeas until all have been coated.
Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until golden brown. Open the oven and shake the baking pan to roll the chickpeas around about halfway through cooking.
Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle with the taco seasoning. Toss carefully to coat.
Allow the chickpeas to cool before serving.
- Category: Starters - Appetizer
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy snack, chickpeas, salty snacks, crunchy snacks, cocktail appetizer recipe