Vegetarian Tatchos is an easy weeknight meal that your family will love. It’s perfect for Meatless Monday, full of healthy vegetables and protein, and ready in less than 30 minutes. It also makes a healthy game day entree that even your biggest meat lovers will adore. Depending on what kind of refried beans you use, this dish as written is vegan as well.
Who doesn’t love a recipe that starts with a bag of frozen tater tots, a can of refried beans, a few veggies, and a few spices? I love a good recipe that uses pantry and freezer ingredients. I also love a recipe that takes less than half an hour! These vegetarian tatchos are ridiculously easy to whip up and incredibly delicious. They’re also endlessly versatile to use what you have on hand.
- Frozen tater tots – any brand that you enjoy will work.
- Refried beans – I used vegetarian beans to ensure that the dish remained vegetarian, but you can use any type you like.
- Chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper
- Taco sauce – any heat level.
- Sweet onion, plum tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, and lime
Steps To Make This Recipe
- Bake the tater tots.
- Warm the refried beans with chili powder and cumin.
- Make the pico de gallo by tossing the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, salt, and pepper together.
- Toss the avocado, lime juice, and salt together.
- Assemble the dish by spooning the refried beans onto a serving platter.
- Top the beans with the tater tots, pico de gallo, avocado mixture, jalapeno slices, and cilantro.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Variations To This Recipe
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of the tater tots and pop the serving platter back into the oven to melt the cheese. Cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Colby would all be delicious.
- Use taco meat instead of the refried beans for a meaty meal. You could also top the refried beans with the taco meat for a double shot of protein.
- If you’re short on time, use store-bought, fresh pico de gallo and prepared guacamole. Just be sure to drain the pico de gallo so your tater tots don’t get soggy.
- Top the tater tots with sour cream or guacamole.
More Meatless Monday meal suggestions:
- Involtini Di Melanzane
- Moroccan Spiced Lentil And Quinoa Soup
- Spinach Artichoke Crostata
- Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches
- Ricotta Gnocchi In Easy Pomodoro Sauce
- Pumpkin Ravioli In Sage Brown Butter Sauce
- Spaghetti Aglio E Olio
- Easy Spinach Calzone
Vegetarian Tatchos is an easy weeknight meal that your family will love. It’s perfect for Meatless Monday, full of healthy vegetables and protein, and ready in less than 30 minutes.
1 (32-ounce) bag tater tots
1 (16-ounce) can vegetarian refried beans
¼ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ cup taco sauce
1 small sweet onion, chopped
4 very ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 large jalapenos, sliced thin
1 ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
1 lime, divided
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Arrange the tater tots in a single layer on the pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
Use a spatula to turn the tater tots, and bake for another 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, mash the refried beans, chili powder, cumin, and ⅛ cup water together until well combined. Cook the mixture until hot, stirring often so that it doesn’t scorch – about 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, toss the tomatoes, onion, and about 1/8th cup of the cilantro together. Squeeze ½ of the lime over the vegetables. Season lightly with salt and pepper and gently fold the ingredients together. Set aside.
In another small bowl, toss the chopped avocado gently with the juice of the remaining ½ lime. Season the avocado with salt and pepper. Toss again and set aside.
On a large serving platter, spoon the hot refried bean mixture into the center of the platter and spread it out, leaving a large border around the edges.
Drizzle the taco sauce over the refried beans and top with half of the tomato mixture.
Remove the tater tots from the oven and salt to taste immediately while they are hot.
Arrange the tots over the refried beans.
Sprinkle the remaining tomato mixture, the chopped avocado, sliced jalapenos, and remaining cilantro over the hot tater tots.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dish - Vegetarian
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: vegetarian tatchos, vegetarian recipes, Meatless Monday, game day recipes, easy weeknight meals, frozen tater tots, pico di gallo, avocado, vegan recipes, vegan dinners