In honor of St. Patrick’s Day and as a perfect nightcap recipe to comfort us during this crazy time, this Irish Coffee will warm your body and soothe your nerves. Serve this after a holiday meal of Oven-Baked Corned Beef & Roasted Cabbage and Irish Colcannon.
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
There was a time, a thousand years ago, that I loved finishing a great meal with a delicious, hot nightcap. It was relaxing, warming, and felt decadent. Plus, Irish Coffee was mandatory for me on St. Patrick’s Day. They’re the best.
Making this nightcap recipe at home means you get to tailor it to your specific tastes. Make it more or less sweet, pick your Irish whiskey. It’s all your call. There’s something very nice about that.
HOW TO MAKE THIS NIGHTCAP RECIPE
- First, brew a fresh pot of your favorite coffee. Personally, I like using a medium roast coffee rather than a dark, French, or Italian roast. It keeps the taste of the drink smooth and sweet.
- Use your favorite brand of whiskey. I like Jameson or Irish Mist.
- Warm-up a beautiful mug with boiling water, dump the water and then pour in the whiskey. Warming the whiskey releases it’s aroma and flavor.
- Stir in the brown sugar until it is completely dissolved.
- Top with whipped cream. You could whip your own and control the sweetness. I’ve even used canned whipped cream in a pinch. It worked great.
- Garnish it to make it pretty with a bit of cocoa powder or shavings of chocolate, if desired.
- Sensitive to caffeine? Use decaf coffee.
- You can make the drink creamier by adding some Baily’s Irish Cream or Kahlua. You might want to adjust the brown sugar, as both are pretty sweet.
- Flavor your whipped cream with cocoa powder, nutmeg, or cinnamon.
- Shave a bit of chocolate on the top for even more decadence.
EQUIPMENT USED IN THIS RECIPE
- Cuisinart Brew Central 12 Cup Programmable Coffeemaker, Black/Silver
- Libbey 8-1/2-Ounce Irish Coffee Mug, 4-Piece Set
- Stainless Steel 24 Ounce Cocktail Shaker Bar Set with Measuring Jigger and Mixing Spoon – pretty, functional, and kinda fun to play with.
- 8″ Long Stainless Steel Cocktail Muddlers by HQY, Muddler – better than wood and you can toss it into the dishwasher.
If you enjoyed this perfect nightcap, this Strawberry Shortcake Martini will delight your tastebuds.
Want something chocolatey? An Ultimate Chocolate Martini is just what you’ve been looking for!
A Pumpkin Pie Martini is a spicy, sweet treat that’s delicious all year round..but especially in Fall.Print
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: Serves 1
This is the perfect nightcap recipe. It’s warm, slightly sweet, and comforting with a healthy shot of Irish whiskey and a topping of whipped cream.
1 cup hot coffee
1 ½ ounces (3 tablespoons) Irish whiskey
1 tablespoon brown sugar
Whipped cream, for garnish
Cocoa powder, for garnish
Warm a heavy, footed mug with almost boiling water. Allow it to warm for a moment, then empty it.
Pour in the Irish Whiskey and swirl around in the hot cup to warm the liquid.
Pour very hot, fresh coffee into the cup until there is about a finger-width of room from the rim of the cup.
Stir in the brown sugar until it is completely dissolved.
Layer the whipped cream over the back of a spoon so that it floats on top of the drink.
Garnish with a very light dusting of cocoa powder.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Starters - Cocktails
- Method: Stir
- Cuisine: Irish
Keywords: perfect nightcap recipe, cocktails, St. Patrick's Day, cocktail recipes, coffee recipes, whiskey recipes