This white chicken chili is creamy, hearty, and so satisfying. It’s a great alternative to a rich beef chili and easy enough to become a favorite family dinner staple.
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
INGREDIENTS IN WHITE CHICKEN CHILI:
- Vegetable oil – I used canola
- 2 large chicken breasts – you could also use chicken thighs if you prefer dark meat. Another option is ground chicken.
- 1 medium onion
- Garlic – 4 large cloves or 4 teaspoons of jarred
- Chicken stock or broth – you’ll need 4 cups or a 32-ounce box.
- Creamed corn
- Chopped green chiles – mild, medium, or hot, it’s your choice
- Canned white beans – Great Northern White beans are the creamiest, but cannellini beans also work well.
- Green salsa – again pick the level of heat that you enjoy
- Spices – salt, cumin, chili powder, Mexican oregano, and white pepper –
- Sour cream – I like using full fat to add richness and a luxurious mouthfeel. But to reduce fat and calories you can use low-fat. I don’t recommend non-fat.
- Half and Half – for creaminess and to mellow out the spices
- Cilantro – this is a love/hate herb. If you like it, stir it in at the end. If you dislike the flavor of it, you could use parsley or just eliminate it.
- Lime juice – use fresh juice, not the bottled stuff
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES:
- Green Tea Glazed Chicken Wings
- Lemon Herb Roasted Chicken
- Chicken Marbella
- Grilled Piri Piri Chicken
This creamy white chicken chili is so hearty and satisfying that your family will request it week after week. Serve it with a side salad and crusty bread for a complete meal.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch cubes
1 medium onion, diced
4 large garlic cloves, minced
4 cups chicken stock
1 can (15-ounces) creamed corn
2 (4-ounce) cans chopped green chiles
2 cans (15 ½-ounces) Great Northern White Beans, drained
1 jar (16-ounces) green salsa
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 cup sour cream
½ cup half and half
¼ cup chopped cilantro
¼ fresh lime
In a large Dutch oven, warm the oil over medium heat until shimmering.
Saute the chicken, onions, and garlic, stirring constantly, until the chicken is no longer pink – about 10 minutes.
Pour in the chicken stock, creamed corn, green chiles, beans, salsa, salt, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and white pepper.
Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
Whisk in the sour cream and heavy cream until well incorporated.
Warm, stirring constantly, until the mixture is hot – about 5 minutes.
Stir in the cilantro and squeeze ¼ lime. Stir well.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Starters - Soups
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: white chicken chili, chili recipes, chicken recipes, soup recipes, weeknight dinner ideas, chicken recipes