Perfect for summer days, these homemade orange creamsicles are reminiscent of the childhood treats we loved so much.
There’s something about grabbing an icy treat on a hot afternoon that just feels wonderful. I’ve felt this way since I was a kid and would bolt out into the middle of the street as soon as I heard the merry-go-round music of our ‘ice-cream truck’. With my quarters in my hand, I couldn’t wait to get my favorite orange and vanilla popsicle. Then, it was nirvana for the next ten minutes.
Well, now you can have that taste again at home – with 5 simple ingredients.
STEPS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Place your whipping cream, can of sweetened condensed milk, and if you have room, your mixing bowl and beater into the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Whip the whipping cream until you have stiff peaks.
- Fold the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla into the whipped cream.
- Scoop half of the vanilla mixture into another bowl and stir the orange juice concentrate and food coloring into one of the bowls of whipped cream.
- Using silicone popsicle molds, spoon alternating layers of the vanilla cream and orange cream until full. Place the tops on the molds, add the popsicle sticks, and freeze until hard.
- Unmold, kick-back, and enjoy while recapturing those ten minutes of nirvana.
- By using concentrated orange juice, you get the strong punch of orange flavor. Don’t dilute the concentrate.
- You can use any concentrated juice or punch in this recipe. I’ve used Lemonade and Limeade with great success.
- If you’re short on time, you can use semi-thawed vanilla ice cream instead of the whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk. It will be a bit more grainy from ‘re-freezing’ the ice cream, but still delicious! 1 ½ cup of plain vanilla ice cream with another 1 cup of vanilla ice cream that you stir the orange juice concentrate into and then spoon into your molds. Easy.
Here are a few more ideas for sweet, summer treats:
- Fresh Watermelon Sherbet
- Mousse Au Chocolat
- Caramel Macchiato Gelato
- Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bars
- Creamy Matcha Lychee Ice Cream
These homemade orange creamsicles are the taste you remember as a kid. With only 5 ingredients, they’re too easy not to keep a few in your freezer.
Pour the whipping cream into the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl to use a hand mixer. Whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks form when the beaters are lifted out of the bowl. Be careful not to over whip. We don’t want to make butter.
Using a spatula, gently fold in the vanilla and sweetened condensed milk.
Scoop out half of the mixture into a medium-size bowl.
Stir in the thawed orange juice concentrate and food coloring, if using.
Spoon some of each mixture, in layers, into your popsicle molds. Cover and add the sticks.
Freeze until solid, at least 3-4 hours.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes, plus freezing time
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Freeze
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: orange creamsicles, homemade orange creamsicles, frozen desserts, childhood favorite desserts, popsicles, homemade popsicles, retro desserts