Celebrate National Pizza Day with a quick dinner your family will love! This Chicken Carbonara Flatbread uses store-bought flatbreads for a thin, crispy crust that couldn’t be easier. Serve it with a light and crunchy Fennel And Orange Salad for a complete meal.
There are some amazingly delicious flatbreads or naan bread available at the grocery these days. So, using these products to make a pizza is a great solution for a weeknight dinner. Because the crust is so quick and easy, you can definitely take 15 minutes to whip up a super flavorful, cheesy, alfredo sauce!
You probably have everything for the sauce already in your pantry and refrigerator. Plus, it only takes 15 minutes, so why not? It tastes so much better and is so easy, you won’t want to buy the jarred stuff ever again.
For the sauce, you’ll need:
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese – get a good quality cheese, not the stuff in the green plastic jar!
For the pizza you will need:
- Naan or flatbreads
- Onions and red peppers
- Mozzarella cheese – use a good quality cheese
- Cooked chicken – this recipe is great, but a deli roasted chicken works just fine.
- Italian seasoning for a burst of flavor
MORE TOPPING IDEAS USING THIS SAUCE
- Alfredo sauce, sliced fresh tomatoes, fresh basil
- Alfredo sauce, prosciutto, fresh sliced figs, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze
- Alfredo sauce, cooked spinach and artichokes, sauteed onion, goat cheese
ADDITIONAL EASY ITALIAN DINNER IDEASPrint
This Chicken Carbonara Flatbread pizza is an easy and delicious weeknight meal idea. With a store-bought naan bread as the crust, you can make a homemade alfredo sauce and still have dinner on the table in about 30 minutes.
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely minced
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
For the pizzas:
- 6 strips bacon, sliced horizontally
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 naan flatbread
- ¾ cup white sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup sliced cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
Make the sauce.
Cook the flour, whisking continuously, for 1-2 minutes. Don’t brown the flour.
While whisking, drizzle in the milk. Cook, whisking continuously for another minute.
Whisk in the salt, pepper, garlic, and parmesan cheese.
Remove the pan from the heat and whisk vigorously until the cheese is melted and the sauce is very smooth. Don’t allow the sauce to boil because it will curdle.
Set aside to cool.
In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon sliced until very crispy.
Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon to drain on a paper towel. Leave as much of the fat behind as possible.
Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, just until it starts to turn translucent – about 2 minutes. Don’t allow it to brown.
Use the slotted spoon to remove the onion to a paper towel-lined plate.
In the same skillet, add the red pepper and saute just until the slices are pliable – about 1 minute.
Remove the red pepper to the plate with the onions.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Spread half of the sauce (about 6 tablespoons) on each flatbread.
Spread the onions amongst each of the flatbreads.
Layer the cheese over the pizzas and tuck in the sliced chicken and red pepper strips.
Sprinkle each pizza with 1/2 teaspoon of the dried Italian seasoning.
Place the pizzas onto the baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the toppings are just beginning to brown around the edges.
Use a pizza cutter to slice each pizza.
- Category: Main Dish - Kid Friendly
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: chicken carbonara flatbread, flatbread pizza, weeknight dinner, chicken pizza, carbonara, homemade pizza