This cheesy zucchini casserole is an easy side dish that goes with almost anything. It’s a great way to get a healthy serving of vegetables into your family.
Every summer I seem to have a plethora of zucchini and am always looking for new ways to use it all. I mean, even I can only do so much fried zucchini sticks.
This casserole is a great way to use a LOT of zucchini in a delicious way. With the eggs and the rice, it’s a meal in itself – or a different and delicious breakfast.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE THIS DISH?
- Zucchini – get firm, unblemished medium zucchini. The big ones will have too many seeds. You’ll need about 3 pounds.
- Salt, baking powder, garlic, and herb seasoning
- Onion and garlic
- Cooked white rice
- Sour cream
- Cheese – parmesan, mozzarella, cheddar, and Italian Blend
TIPS FOR MAKING A CHEESY ZUCCHINI CASSEROLE
- Take the time to grate the zucchini and squeeze as much liquid out of it as possible. This is important. You don’t want a watery (and flavorless) casserole. The salt will pull a lot of the moisture out of the vegetable and squeezing it out of the zucchini is crucial. Finally, wringing out the zucchini in a dish towel will remove the last of the moisture.
- Be sure to mince the aromatics into a very small dice. You want them to ‘melt’ into the casserole as it bakes.
- It’s easy to change the flavor profile of this casserole by switching up the cheeses and the herb seasoning. Brie cheese is amazing and makes the casserole extremely creamy and rich. Add a Greek flair with Greek seasoning and Feta cheese. Use what you like or have on hand. The possibilities are endless.
- If you have veggies in your fridge that you need to use, shred them and toss them in. I have used shredded carrot, minced jalapenos, and minced bell pepper. All of them were delicious.
This cheesy zucchini casserole is an easy and delicious way to use up the abundant crop of zucchini. It’s also a great way to get veggies into your family.
6 medium grated zucchini (about 3 pounds)
1 teaspoons salt
½ cup minced onion
1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
2 cups cooked white rice
1 cup sour cream, divided
4 large eggs
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon garlic herb seasoning
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup Italian blend cheese (I used one that had parmesan, asiago, and fontina)
Remove the grated zucchini to a mesh colander over a large bowl or in the sink. Sprinkle it with 1 teaspoon salt. Toss well and allow the salt to pull moisture out of the zucchini for about 10 minutes. Toss occasionally with your hands, squeezing out as much liquid as possible.
Lay a clean dishtowel on the counter and scoop the zucchini out of the colander into the towel. Wrap the towel around the zucchini and twist and wring the zucchini to force the remainder of the water out of the zucchini. Do this several times until you aren’t able to wring any more liquid out of the squash.
Transfer the zucchini to a large mixing bowl.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9×13 casserole dish. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix ⅔ cup sour cream, baking powder, garlic and herb seasoning, and eggs together. Pour over the zucchini.
Add the onion, garlic, cooked rice, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Mix well.
Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Press down with the back of a wooden spoon to remove any air pockets and compress the casserole mixture.
Spread the remaining ⅓ cup of sour cream over the top of the casserole and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of cheddar and the Italian blended cheeses overall.
Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes until the casserole is set and the cheesy top is golden brown.
Allow the casserole to sit for five minutes before cutting.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cheesy zucchini casserole, side dish, zucchini recipes, vegetables, casseroles
Check out our latest video: