These cheesy, baked zucchini fries are so savory, crispy, and delicious that your family won’t believe they are actually a healthy side dish. The fries are amazing dipped in this Creamy Cilantro Jalapeno Sauce.
I try to eat healthier but I don’t want to give up the foods that I love – like anything fried. But these cheesy baked zucchini fries are so satisfying that a VEGETABLE can cure that craving. Who knew? They don’t even need a sauce, because they’re so flavorful, but why not? Sauce these babies up!
HOW ARE THESE CHEESY BAKED ZUCCHINI FRIES MADE?
The hardest part of this recipe is taking the time to bread the zucchini strips. And trust me, it isn’t difficult.
First, you cut the zucchini into strips and then shake them in a bag with flour.
Then the floured strips get a bath in some egg and coated in breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese that are flavored with onion and garlic powders.
Drizzle the strips with olive oil and bake until crisp and golden.
EQUIPMENT USED FOR THIS RECIPE
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup – use this in the microwave and put it in the dishwasher.
- J.A Henckels International Classic Starter Knife Set, 3-Piece – good knives make food prep easier…and safer.
- Extra Thick Flexible Plastic Kitchen Cutting Board Mats Set, Set of 6 Colored Mats With Food Icons & Easy-Grip Handles, Non-Porous, Dishwasher – different colors for different foods. No more onion flavored fruit. It’ a good thing.
- Anchor Hocking Glass Bowl Set – 10 pcs – These wonderful bowls go in the microwave and the dishwasher. Plus, they stack to save space!
- AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat Sheet, Set of 2 – Why pay for the fancy French name? These are amazing…and inexpensive.
- Checkered Chef Half Sheet Aluminum Rimmed Baking Sheets (set of 2) – I own 6 of these and love them.
- OXO Good Grips Silicone Basting & Pastry Brush – Use this on the grill, on chicken, pork and throw it into the dishwasher. Love that!
- Hygienic Solid Heat-Resistant Flexible Silicone Spatula, Black
These cheesy baked zucchini fries are so crisp, crunchy, and savory that your family won’t believe they aren’t fried.
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 large zucchini
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 extra-large eggs, beaten
1 cup Italian style bread crumbs
½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or a Silpat mat. Lightly brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Set aside.
Cut the ends off of the zucchini and cut into ½-inch strips, so they resemble french fries.
In a ziplock bag, add the flour. Working in batches, add the zucchini strips into the bag with the flour, shake to coat. Tap off any extra flour and put the strips onto a plate. Complete with the remaining zucchini strips.
In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs.
Using a larger bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs, cheese, garlic, and onion powders, salt, and pepper.
Dip the floured zucchini strips into the egg and then in the breadcrumb mixture. Press on each side to help the breadcrumbs adhere.
Lay the strips onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all the zucchini strips have been coated with egg and breadcrumb mixture.
Drizzle very lightly with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
Carefully turn the zucchini strips and continue baking for another 15 – 20 minutes until they are crisp and golden brown.
Serve warm with ketchup, aioli, ranch dressing, or your favorite tomato sauce.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: cheesy baked zucchini fries, side dish, side dish recipes, zucchini, zucchini recipes, healthy recipes