An easy chocolate drop cookie recipe with the warm spices of chili powder and cinnamon reminiscent of the spicy Mexican hot chocolate drink.
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup natural cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat mat.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, cream both sugars and butter until very creamy. Beat in eggs and milk until fully combined. Add cream of tartar and baking soda. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cocoa powder, chili powder, espresso powder, cinnamon, and flour till well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
- Using a medium cookie scoop or heaping tablespoon, roll dough into balls. Roll balls in the powder sugar and place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven until centers are set and cookie begins to crack, about 10-12 minutes.
- Cool for 1 minute on baking sheet and then transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
- Serving Size: 1