This old fashioned recipe for a classic Southern salad is an unexpected and delicious treat. Cornbread, black beans, bacon, cheese, and a bevy of chopped vegetables are dressed with a homemade ranch dressing. Not a pretty salad, but one that your family will adore.
- 1 box Jiffy Cornbread Mix
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 2 large ears fresh corn or 1 cup frozen corn
- ½ large red bell pepper, minced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 scallions, minced (both white and green parts)
- 2 Plum tomatoes, seeded and minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups finely shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 slices bacon, cooked crisp and grease reserved
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 ½ packets buttermilk ranch dressing mix
- 1 tablespoon reserved bacon grease
Make the cornbread. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-inch baking pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornbread mix, egg, and milk. Spoon into the prepared dish and bake until golden brown – about 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely.
When cool, crumble or cut into small ½-inch cubes and spoon into a large mixing bowl. Set aside, uncovered, to dry out for at least 4 hours.
For the salad:
Cook the ears of corn until tender crisp – about 15 minutes. Drain well. Cut the kernels off of the cob and slide into the bowl with the cornbread.
Add the bell pepper, jalapeno minced tomatoes, black beans, cheese, and crumbled bacon.
Make the dressing:
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, ranch mix, and bacon grease until fully combined.
Spoon onto the salad and toss until all of the dressing is combined with the cornbread, beans, and veggies.
Cover tightly and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Toss
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: old fashioned recipe, Southern salad, Southern recipes, cornbread, side dish recipes, side dish