This easy recipe can be made the night before and baked in the morning. Crunchy, creamy, sweet, and satisfying, this luxurious brioche French toast is sure to be a family favorite.
For the casserole:
- 1 large loaf brioche bread, torn into chunks (enough to yield 10 cups of bread chunks)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole buttermilk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup spiced rum (like Captain Morgan), optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cold cream cheese, cut into small cubes
For the topping:
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place an oven rack in the center position.
- Lightly butter a 2-quart baking dish. Set aside.
- Tear the bread roughly into 1-inch chunks and place in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, buttermilk, spiced rum, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt until the eggs are completely incorporated into the other liquids.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the bread chunks. Using a large spoon, lightly toss the bread to fully coat the bread with the custard. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix the melted butter with the brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Using a spoon, drizzle the mixture evenly over all the bread chunks.
- Bake the casserole for 35 to 45 minutes until the center is set and the outer edges are golden brown and crusty.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar, if desired and serve with maple syrup.
- Serving Size: Serves 6 - 8