A quick and easy recipe that is both delicious and impressive. Fresh tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and sweet, tart balsamic drizzle make for a simple, easy and elegant salad.
- 2 cups good quality Modena balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound ball of fresh mozzarella cheese, thickly sliced
- Large bunch of fresh basil
- Good quality olive oil for drizzling
- In a saucepan, combine the balsamic vinegar and honey. Stir to combine and bring to a gentle boil over low heat. Cook, stirring, until the vinegar has reduced to a thick syrup, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Lay several layers of paper towel on a large plate. Set aside.
- Slice the tomatoes into thick slices and liberally salt both sides with Kosher salt. Lay the slices on the plate and allow the salt to pull juice from the tomatoes. Allow them to sit for at least 30 minutes.
- To assemble the salad, lay a tomato slice, then a slice of mozzarella cheese half on top of the tomato, followed by another slice of tomato and cheese. Tuck a basil leave in between the slices of tomato and cheese.
- Drizzle the salad with the balsamic reduction. Then drizzle a bit of the olive oil, then a light sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Garnish the plate with a few sprigs of basil.
To save time, you can buy a balsamic vinegar syrup instead of reducing your own.
- Serving Size: 1