A delicious, slightly spicy, very cheesy bread with a crunch exterior and a fluffy, fragrant interior.
- 1 packet Quick Rise Yeast
- 1/4 cup warm beer (I used Corona) – warm in the microwave or saucepan to about 105 degrees. Don’t go over 110 degrees or the yeast will die and your bread will not rise.
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapeno, finely minced and dried on paper towels
- 2 cups grated extra sharp cheddar cheese (grate your own, don’t use the shredded in the bag)
- ½ cup grated good parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese, optional
- 1 fresh jalapeno, sliced into rounds, optional
- In a large mixing bowl, mix yeast and warm beer together. Watch to ensure that it begins to foam.
- In another small bowl, mix together the butter, egg, and buttermilk. Add the egg mixture into the yeast mixture. Stir in salt, pepper, sugar, and the bread flour. Mix well.
- Knead the dough by hand for 5 to 10 minutes on a lightly floured surface (or if you are lazy, like me, use your mixer to knead until it becomes smooth and elastic).
- Form dough into a ball, spray your mixing bowl with cooking spray, place dough in bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a towel. Place the bowl in a warm place and allow to rise until double in size – about an hour.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface. Pat the dough into a flat shape. Add cheeses and jalapenos. Roll up the dough and start to knead the dough to incorporate the cheese and jalapenos into the dough.
- Form dough into a loaf shape and place into a butter greased bread pan or a shape the dough into a circle and place on a lightly greased pizza pan.
- Cover with a towel and allow to rise a second time in a warm place until dough reaches about 1/2 – 1 inch above pan or 1-inch higher than the original circle.
- This step is totally optional,but really good. Before placing the bread in the oven, brush the top with half & half or heavy cream and sprinkle very lightly with finely grated cheddar and sliced fresh jalapenos. This step is worth the extra effort.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake the bread for 40 – 45 minutes until beautifully golden brown and sounds hollow when knocked.
- Serve to those you love and sit back to enjoy the accolades. Yep, you’re a Goddess!
- Serving Size: Serves 4 - 6