Beans and greens with corn dodgers is a Southern staple that is healthy, nutritious, and so flavorful. It can be a side dish, a main dish, or a first course.
For the beans and greens:
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine (I used a chardonnay)
- 2 (32-ounce) containers of unsalted chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon ham base (I used Better Than Boullion)
- 16-ounce bag chopped collard greens
- 6-ounce bag fresh baby spinach
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound package low salt diced ham
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the corn dodgers:
- ⅔ cup self-rising flour
- ⅓ cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- ½ cup milk
In a large soup pot, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until the fat has rendered out and the bacon is crispy.
Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon pieces and reserve them as a garnish or use for another recipe.
Saute the onion and garlic in the bacon fat until the onions are translucent – about 8 minutes.
Pour in the white wine to deglaze the pan and bring to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute and then add the chicken broth and ham base.
Add the collard greens and spinach.
Cover the pot, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes until the greens have wilted and are very tender.
Stir in the beans, lemon zest, lemon juice, and diced ham. Cook for another 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, stir together the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
Use a fork to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks like damp sand.
Whisk in the milk until well combined. Allow the mixture to rest and thicken for 5 minutes
Taste the potlikker and adjust for salt and pepper.
Bring the pot of greens to a soft boil.
Use a teaspoon to slide balls of dough into the simmering liquid.
Cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Stewed
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: beans and greens with corn dodgers, stewed greens, potlikker, Southern food, collard greens, Southern side dish