Like most of us, I have been thinking about the many small business owners who are struggling to maintain their establishments during these crazy times and my heart goes out to them.
One often forgotten group of small entrepreneurs, the food blogger, is also struggling with how to create, build, and survive through this crisis. Trying to figure out what to cook with what’s in the pantry or what we can get at the grocery stores can be challenging. Wanting to provide the best content relevant to current affairs – which is comfort food and cocktail recipes these days – adds another layer of difficulty to the challenge.
COOKING IN THE TIME OF COVID-19
In support of my fellow food bloggers with some outstanding recipes, I have compiled a list of a handful that I stumbled upon over the past week. Some of these recipes I have already made and some are in my ‘to-make’ folder. All made my mouth water just reading about them and looking at the pictures. I hope you find some inspiration and maybe a new blog to follow.
- Chicken Parmesan, smalltownlivingusa.com – Simple, classic, and using ingredients you already have on hand. How delicious does this look/sound? I’m thinking this is Monday’s meal!
- Refreshing Detox Pineapple Smoothie, RainbowDelicious.com – With all of the cooking and eating comfort foods, we all need to start the morning with this bright, fruity smoothie. I have and it’s delicious!
- Bacardi Rum Cake, Old-FashionedRecipes.com – This one should come with a warning that your pants will soon be too tight…and you won’t care. I’ve made this one a few times. It is rich, moist and incredibly tasty. If you have any leftover slices, I have grilled them in a skillet with butter, until just golden and crusty and served with ice cream. Don’t judge. Also, if you are ever looking for a recipe that you ate at grandmas every Sunday growing up, start your search with this great blog!
- Peach Upside Down Cake, SouthernLadyCooks.com – What could be more Southern or comforting! The best part is all the options given to utilize what you may have on hand! This is one in my ‘to-make’ folder for when my very Southern sister-in-law visits! She’s going to love it!
- Whole Wheat Bread From Scratch, cookglobaleatlocal.com – My breadmaking skills are sketchy, at best…until now. I made this fabulous loaf and then ate the fabulous loaf in a little over a day.
- Citrus Avocado Salad, paleoglutenfreeguy.com – I am chomping at the bit to make this salad. Just looking at the gorgeous photo makes my mouth water in anticipation. Now if my grocery store would only get in some avocados. My struggle is real!
- Pork Chops In Creamy Mushroom Sauce, whatshouldimakefor.com – You know a recipe is delicious when you realize you ate your portion while standing over the stove taking little tastes and soon more than you intended is in your belly. I wish I could say that I have no knowledge of this act. Sadly, I do.
I hope you enjoy these wonderful recipes. I’ve enjoyed them immensely (said as I pull on my stretchy lounge pants). If you are looking for a few more comfort food recipes, may I suggest a few of my own:
- Pasta Carbonara – pasta, eggs, bacon? Yes, please!
- Millie’s Meaty Red Beans & Rice – This recipe has developed over many decades and it never disappoints.
- Kicked Up A Notch Texas Sheet Cake – A revamp of my mom’s recipe. Chocolate goodness at its best.