An international recipe for the ultimate South African comfort food. This dish is flavorful with curry, raisins, and just a touch of heat.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 slices thick-sliced white bread, torn into pieces
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 ½ pounds lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon medium curry powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 ½ tablespoons malt vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup seedless raisins
- 3 tablespoons hot apricot chutney
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 13×9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the onions and cook until they are transparent – about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and stir, cooking, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, add the torn bread and milk. Allow the milk to soak into the bread. Set aside.
- To the skillet, crumble the ground beef and start to incorporate the onions and garlic into the beef.
- Stir, breaking up the meat into small bits until it just starts to brown.
- Squeeze the excess milk out of the bread and add the bread to the meat in the skillet. Don’t discard the milk.
- Continue to cook the meat, combining it with the bread until well combined and the meat has browned.
- Using the skillet lid, drain any fat off of the meat. Return to the stovetop.
- Stir in the curry powder, cinnamon, sugar, salt, turmeric, malt vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, raisins, and hot apricot chutney.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Use the back of your spoon to pack the meat tightly into the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and the reserved milk from soaking the bread. Pour over the beef mixture. Lay the two bay leaves on top of the egg mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 – 45 minutes until the eggs are set.
- Remove from the oven and serve with yellow rice and extra apricot chutney.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving Size: 1