An easy breakfast recipe, this Belgian waffle is crispy on the outside and buttery, tender, and soft on the inside.
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 ¼ cups melted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl with a fork, beat the egg yolks and whole milk together.
- When the melted butter has cooled, stir into the milk mixture. Stir in the vanilla.
- In a medium size bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the waffle batter. Be careful not to over mix the batter.
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Pour enough batter into the waffle iron to almost spread to the sides. You will need some space for the waffle to spread while cooking.
- Cook until golden brown and crispy.
- Top the waffle with your favorite toppings.
The waffles can be made in advance and kept warm in a 200 degree oven for up to 30 minutes.
You can also wrap the waffles individually and freeze them. Thaw and warm in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving Size: 1